IPTV - VPN/ISP query

I am having issues with my IPTV and hoping someone with expertise could opine.

I currently use Smart IPTV on LG tv, with ethernet direct from router into TV.

I am with Voda as ISP provider (FFS!), but at the time of signing up had no idea they throttle IPTV. I have spoken to Voda and the first told me it was content control setting on router that was causing it; updated settings; no change to service. Contacted them again and this time they told me it was DNS settings; updated with no change to service.

I was previously with BT with the same IPTV provider and had no issues, now I am noticing constant lagging/freezing, FHD/HD streams lag/buffer constantly that its not watchable, for some reason BBC channels never work (tried to watch the FA cup and it wouldnt work at all).

Read a few threads re voda throttling IPTV; but when I use netflix/bbc Iplayer via the firestick I have no issues with the playback quality.. so not sure if this is Smart IPTV related?

Secondly - can someone advise on how I can add VPN onto router, tried having a search and couldnt find anything that helps. I currently use Private Internet Access (PIA VPN) on my laptop & mobile device but have no idea how I can add it (or any other VPN) to router?

thank in advance!

you wont get any throttling on bbc or Netflix as they are only targeting "unknown streaming services" , not legitimate ones... without vpn I can use bbc etc perfect, but start iptv and goes to shit

I had a few friends had issues with Iptv on Vodaphone and it's not the best. I would change provider if you can.

trying to get out of contract with voda - "as you receive internet service, there is nothing else we can do. check your IPTV settings" FFS :mad:

If the op downloads the apk for which ever vpn provider he is with then downloads adb link make sure adb bugging is turned on and apps from unknown sources is turned on open adb link type the ip address of firestick in give it a name press connect then click install apk look for the vpn apk which downloaded click open and will start to send the apk over to the firestick he can send the apk over that way to the firestick if it's the first gen firestick vpns are not supported but if its the second gen one with alexa voice control it can be done same with the new 4k firestick

If you search the Vodafonei community site there is a tutorial about putting vpn onto the router , haven’t tried it but stuck vpn onto my android box and it helps although still buffers every so often

thanks for the responses.

I have decided to terminate my voda service and move back to BT (had BT previously with no issues with IPTV) and have been told by BT they will pay my voda cancellation fees...

" If you agree to come to BT for Phone and Broadband, BT will credit you up to £300 towards any early termination charges you incur for ceasing your Phone and Broadband contract with your service provider (with the exception of Virgin Media cable services).

You will have to pay your early termination charge first, BT will then credit up to £300 to your BT account. Please note we will not pay the amount you paid for your early termination charges in to your bank account. It will be credited to your BT account to use against your BT bill."

Although not ideal paying out the cash to voda only to be credited into my BT account but nonetheless I finally have an exit from voda. I have also been made aware a few of the other big providers also do a similar scheme.

we had problems with vodafone and got out of the contract. however, we were getting terrible download speeds all the time. If your speed is affected only when you watch iptv i doubt you will get out of the contract. you have to get a ticket raised to the top tech team(not the muppetts on the live chat) They will basically do a few tests and monitor your speeds over a 2 week period if things don,'t improve they will let you out of the contract.We are now back with BT and no problems

I spoke with BT and they told me they have a service which they will credit your BT account with amount equal to the termination cost from your existing provider. I have given Voda notice and signed up with BT.

I tried to get out of the voda contract but they kept saying "the speed to your line is as expected" knowing full well voda throttle IPTV!

@gilvey its a strange one, seems to be luck of the draw as there are mixed responses on this with people being impacted and not using voda! In any case, thank f... I got out with vodafone!

Back