IPTV Zgemma VPN

hiranuk

Hi

I have a Zgemma box and an IPTV service. I have set a VPN on my router but the problem is without the VPN i get a download speed test result of 102mb with the VPN i get 7mb. the VPN is with "express VPN". i have tried various servers they have an the most i get is 9mb.

im in the UK can anyone recommend a good VPN provider that provides L2TP / PPTP that wont slow my speed down that much i would like at least around 80mb with the VPN enabled.

Thanks in advance

Hello L2TP/PPTP protocols are quite old now they dont offer as much encryption as the newer Open Vpn. It is difficult to find a vpn server that doesnt throttle your connection speed. It may be better to add a open vpn configuration on your zgemma instead of the router. Depending on your build you may already have an open vpn plugin installed if not youll need to download one, here you can add your profile that is needed for openvpn.
There is this guide this if for openatv /www.tech2guides.co.uk/how-to-setup-vpn-on-enigma2-openatv/ hope this helps

the speed is always reduced when you use a vpn, ideally you need a low ping as well the lower the ping the better i use an open vpn im getting a ping of 13 milliseconds i get 11 when im not using my vpn so its very good. My vpn might not be suited to your connection its a matter of trial and error. Depends on your location your isp etc.

Just to chime in here with my 10 pence worth. I've installed open vpn on a zgemma h2s and was trying to run NORD vpn, don't bother it's expensive and crap.
I was then recommended digibit by my supplier and it's very good. But with all vpns they throttle the hell out of your speed. Best bet is to try and connect as close to where you live as possible really, also access your router and see if you can activate vpn settings, as I had to do this with my bt smart hub and it greatly improved the speeds I was getting. It may also be a case of who your vpn is with having slow servers so may be worth spending the time googling it and different companies to see what speeds they offer mate.
Good luck and let us know if you get it sorted.

Thanks. Did the nord VPN work on the Zgemma using the open vpn on Zgemma?. i jsut want to test it as previously i have tested other VPN's and the Zgemma connects but then a few seconds later disconnects. Did the nord VPN stay connected ?

Just to chime in here with my 10 pence worth. I've installed open vpn on a zgemma h2s and was trying to run NORD vpn, don't bother it's expensive and crap.
A while ago when the need for a VPN on Enigma2 receivers kicked in a lot of time & effort was put in by TK members testing them to try work out the better/best vpn's for Enigma2 systems, Nord was one of the ones I tested with very good results & still use to this day as the deal/offer was too good to pass up & worked out less than many others (I did take a long term deal rather than monthly), im sure plenty of others will say the same...None were as you say 'crap' & Nord was one of the best imho!

There are several ways to setup & use a VPN so will give mine setup as an example as this is how I have tested:-
I have VM broadband only no TV package, Im running VPN directly on the receivers!

With my VPN provider I can use VPN on upto 6 devices so it could be placed on a router to run the whole household behind one of those 6 possible connections or as I have use on individual devices which also means you & 5 of your friends could share the VPN :)

Last edited:
Ok just so you know why I say nord is crap. Unless you want to shell out £90 odd quid for a year subby to make it work out cheap it's a gamble. I prefer to just pay monthly, rather than smash out £90 for something that I haven't personally used.
More to the point the nord vpn doesn't load up any servers on the open vpn or at least didn't when I tried, therefore making it impossible to make a connection, especially as I have bt fibre I can't install in directly to router so has to be on the box I wanted house it on.
Each to they're own, but for me digibit were the cheapest and run at a decent speed when connected.
Good luck anyways

Most IPTV providers don't need a vpn and some don't even allow them. VPN will always throttle your internet speeds and can cause issues. I know some people run VPN without issues but I know quite a few that have had issues. What works for one may not work for others . Nord vpn is recommended by a supplier I use and a few on his service are using Nord without problem , but never had to use one tbh .

Back