Is A Zgemma Box Right For Me

I really liked my zgemma's they served me well but the edision was just to tempting for the price, the official vix support was the deal breaker, really good little boxes and perform superbly.

I am one of the said zgemma crew and will die by the remote defending it.... but

The Edison Mini does seem to be growing quickly and recommended by so many respectable (cough) members that it has become hard to ignore and shout over the top of. Officially supports VIX is a good point too although OpenATV is best (fight!)

I can't recommend one personally as no-one has sent me one yet on loan... I am still waiting. But like I said, the respectable (cough) members say it is a good box and a good price too.

I have had a word in the ear of the forum sponsor to see if they can start offering these boxes.

Last edited:
For vix users on zgemma's then it's defiantly worth a look at if your deciding to upgrade your box, if you use atv on a zgemma and are a die hard atv person then there's probably less reason to upgrade as you already get official support, if your coming from a 2s then the h2s with atv would be more then a worthy upgrade at a slightly cheaper price so it would probably be best sticking with the zgemma range unless you just wanted a different looking box as you probably wouldn't get much more from it besides built in wifi and Bluetooth.

Last edited:
i have both zgemma star s and edison os mini
both good boxes but edison wins for me all round because:
1. faster and quicker in every sense
2. online updates for openvix on edison
3. 2 year warranty support from WoS
4. better remote
5. built-in wifi

Last edited:
I have just ordered a H2S and am I right in thinking it has got to be connected to the net via a cable- no wifi? Mmm,I will have to drill a hole in the wall if so.

I'm starting to regret ever falling for the Zgemma hype.

I bought a H2H.

Satellite wise it worked fine.

Cable wise it glitches like hell.

Now, to top it all I dont have any sound from it at all.

It's half the speed of my old Dreambox 800SE which only has a 450MHz CPU.

Zgemma fans told me it was 'much faster than the old version', well all I can say is thank **** I never owned the old version.

I really wanted this box to perform, but IMHO, this box that I was sold from an official vendor - is a pile of shit.

---------- Post Merged at 12:25 AM ----------

I have just ordered a H2S and am I right in thinking it has got to be connected to the net via a cable- no wifi? Mmm,I will have to drill a hole in the wall if so.

No wifi built in. but like most Enigma 2 boxes, it should support many cheap USB WiFi adapters.

My h2h is fine no glitching whatsoever sat or cable you either have s##T server or if using vm bb try a diffrent splitter.

I bought a H2H.

Zgemma fans told me it was 'much faster than the old version', well all I can say is thank **** I never owned the old version.

I really wanted this box to perform, but IMHO, this box that I was sold from an official vendor - is a pile of shit.

No wifi built in. but like most Enigma 2 boxes, it should support many cheap USB WiFi adapters.

My Edision built in DVB-C was glitching but I had a USB tuner which worked fine. I needed an attenuator to reduce my line strength to the internal tuner as it was too strong, I bought a variable one from amazon and now it works a treat.

What SNR level are you currently getting?

I've had my h2.h a month now and it is just fine. No glitching or freezing. Just using it on cable. My previous box was a Kryptview (which is a different story.....)

I bought a H2H.

Thanks,but if you stick a USB wifi adaptor in the back then you wont be able to use a memory stick to record programs? Am I right in thinking this? (My box hasnt arrived yet?)

I bought a H2H.

stu22 I suggest you have a look at wooshbuild image & flash your box again as Im sure your problems are not the boxes fault, I suspect the issues you are having are ether software, connection, line or alignment issues, I have used most of the zgemma & the Edision Mini range in recent months, tested both on a number of images including the latest atv5.3 & vix4 to make a direct comparison, after playing around with different plugins & crashing my boxes many times I've encountered many of the issues seen on here.
I find it difficult to accept your statement that "the box is shit" the zgemma 2nd gen boxes are very stable & robust little boxes. Setup can be frustrating to those new to Enigma2 boxes however once you get it setup properly (wooshbuild will help) Im sure you will change your opinion about zgemma's

stu22 I suggest you have a look at wooshbuild image & flash your box again as Im sure your problems are not the boxes fault, I suspect the issues you are having are ether software, connection, line or alignment issues, I have used most of the zgemma & the Edision Mini range in recent months, tested both on a number of images including the latest atv5.3 & vix4 to make a direct comparison, after playing around with different plugins & crashing my boxes many times I've encountered many of the issues seen on here.
I find it difficult to accept your statement that "the box is shit" the zgemma 2nd gen boxes are very stable & robust little boxes. Setup can be frustrating to those new to Enigma2 boxes however once you get it setup properly (wooshbuild will help) Im sure you will change your opinion about zgemma's

No amount of flashing was going to help this particular box.

I've been using Linux boxes since the days of the Nokia Dbox1.
I debugged many Nokia and Sagem Dbox2 for friends and family, before that I was using a DVB-C PCI card on a Linux PC.

I'm not new to Enigma2 boxes (also E1 boxes) as I've owned a hell of a lot of them over the years and all I ever do with them is tinker, I hardly ever actually WATCH tv. :)

Everything that you suggested I had already done, reflashed software multiple times and yes I even used a few of the Wooshbuild images, still no sound via HDMI and glitching on FTA DVB-C channels (DVB-S was perfect).

I also own a Dreambox 800SE with a cable tuner, when I connect it to my feed there is no glitching at all, when I replace it with the Zgemma the glitching returns.

I renewed the HDMI cable twice, changed my TV 3 times, factory reset the TV's, factory reset the Zgemma, installed other peoples backup, replaced my splitters with various types that I've gathered over the years, made sure that DTS Downmix was enabled, selected the correct audio stream, yadda yadda.....

I will agree with you though, I was too harsh.

I was very impressed with the box at first, for the money it was an absolute steal.

It's just a pity that my particular unit was faulty. (although others have agreed that the Cable tuner is weaker on the H2H than that on the older H* Star range)

Last edited:
well,
Ive just bought an edision os mini twin sat tuner,
Ive moved up from a skybox f5s
apart from me completely messing it up,,,,
when I did then actually follow bees guide, and got some help from dillyp70,
it took a whole of 30 mins to get working, and, Im a luddite technophobe,!!!!
the box is great, what swayed me to go for the edision over the zgemma was the official vix image and auto updating etc,

Interested on thoughts how Edison compares to the h.2s speed and power wise, 2s is underpowered IMO and few friends don't want spend same sort of money I have on vu stuff, tried the h.2s and much more reaponsive but is the Edison similar or more like the 2s ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested on thoughts how Edison compares to the h.2s speed and power wise, 2s is underpowered IMO and few friends don't want spend same sort of money I have on vu stuff, tried the h.2s and much more reaponsive but is the Edison similar or more like the 2s ?

As far as I can see they (Zgemma H2H and Edison OS Mini) have the same CPU and same amount of Ram but the Edison's NAND is double the size of the Zgemmas, it also has Bluetooth built-in, Wi-Fi, RS232 port (incase you seriously fook it up), an S/PDIF port and official ViX support.

It's does cost approx £20 more though.

I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering one once I get my Zgemma H2H refunded.

Last edited:
Back