Is my OpenBox not smelling the roses

David Dutch

I am new on the forum but hope someone can help please

I have an openbox S9 which is suddenly showing a flashing signal from between the red standby light and the word "On "

It will not boot up :-

a} Do I accept the box is dead
b} if so can someone please recommend inexpensive box with same capabilities as S9
c} If not can someone suggest how we can give it the kiss of life to get it working again please.

Any further information gladly provided and help gratefully received.

cheers

Sounds like 1 of 2 problems.

Either the firmware is corrupt & needs reflashing by the RS232 serial method (see sticky above), or bad capacitors in the power supply.

If you unplug from the mains & remove the top cover, you can usually see a bad capacitor, as the top will be bulging. On the S9 it is usually C19.

Are you saying that it is possible to re-flash from rs 232 without there being power to unit?

---------- Post Merged at 03:51 PM ----------

download the software from official site.

Thanks Mike will do

---------- Post Merged at 04:02 PM ----------

download the software from official site.

Thanks Mike will do. One of the capicitors looks as if it has blown has c19 next to it what size would it be please before I go to my local Maplins and look an idiot.

the capicitor you need is on the digikey website part number P14379-ND. if there are none avaliable at least you will have the info. i have used these many times normally for xbox360 jtagging even if the part is not in stock they will order you one. or if you e-mail them they may suggest an altternative.

Last edited:
the capicitor you need is on the digikey website part number P14379-ND. if there are none avaliable at least you will have the info. i have used these many times normally for xbox360 jtagging even if the part is not in stock they will order you one. or if you e-mail them they may suggest an altternative.

Thanks Mike I am off to my local Maplins tomorrow with a list in my hand

I am grateful that you have taken time out to try to help it is appreciated

Thanks Mike I am off to my local Maplins tomorrow with a list in my hand

I am grateful that you have taken time out to try to help it is appreciated

Maplin won't have the part you want for a permanent repair.

I have seen S9's with 1000uF 16v in the C19 position & some with 1500uF 10v. Maplin sell "unknown" make 105C caps but they are not low ESR types. They sell 1000uF 16v (code DT69A) which you could use as a temporary repair.

For a permanent repair, I would buy these:-

5 X CAPACITOR, RADIAL, 10V, 1500UF, Part # EEUFR1A152 | eBay

They are Panasonic FR types.

Back