Is sorta legit the best way

Ohbugger

...for me?

I know I know, super clickbaity. But before you call me a heretic and throw rotten veg, hear me out.

I pay for sky and as always, I pay far too much for what I get. Think I'm currently about £65(pm) for entertainment, movies and the F1 channel. Now I don't mind paying for sky, but considering we mainly watch the free OTA channels and the odd sky only channel, maybe a movie if ones on, but it's rare(mostly because they are pretty shit). It just seems way too much.

I've toyed with going freeview/freesat before. We get a better signal with freesat, but the lack of channel 4 HD is super annoying(what is this? The 90's?). I'm also happy paying for other service's too. I pay for Netflix, prime and even nfl game pass. So really the only thing I'm missing is the odd sky channel (Atlantic and comedy central being the main ones).

So here's the thing, we actually get free now tv entertainment through one of our phone contracts. This gives us all the main sky channels that the OTA services don't provide. I also download and rip quite a but of my own media and have my own plex server with every decent movie and TV shows on it. Now tv also have a deal on at the minute, every sports channel for 10 months = £200. So thats £20 a month.

What do you think? Worth it? From £65 to £20 a month. Gaining all the sports channels and losing the movies - but I have my own plex server for that.

I've been trying to get freeview working through plex. Managed my iptv sub through it, but it wasn't that great. Not bad likes, but couldn't go that way 100%.

Ive also seen I can add channel 4 HD on freesat boxes, but it's more of a work around rather than a replacement. Any better way to add the channel?

Oh, also I know not tv is only 720p for now and their ever on going promise to bring 1080p.

You get what you pay for...Personally I think it boils down to what your happy paying. Im yet to find an iptv that doesnt have issues yet they arent as much as paying £50+ a month as per sly. The only thing is you know when you switch your tv on (providing your dish\what ever) hasnt malfunctioned your going to get to watch your sports\film\whatever without a glitch. Im still on the hunt for a solution and Ive been in the game for years.... :grin:

Been with latest IPTV provider for about 3 years and for about £50.00 a year which I think it's a bargain. I have had the odd football block but they normally get round it. If you need to you can use a vpn for blocks and runs perfectly, no major issues worth mentioning. I have the odd down time when things get updated but for the price I'm not complaining.

Why not just get iptv on a firestick offers more choice all sly sports American sports get vod just like plex alot cheaper than sky and nowtv just need decent broadband

I could do, but id need to get some sort of android box. I've got an ATV, but thats just awful for iptv.

You get what you pay for...Personally I think it boils down to what your happy paying. Im yet to find an iptv that doesnt have issues yet they arent as much as paying £50+ a month as per sly. The only thing is you know when you switch your tv on (providing your dish\what ever) hasnt malfunctioned your going to get to watch your sports\film\whatever without a glitch. Im still on the hunt for a solution and Ive been in the game for years.... :grin:

well this is also it. I've used iptv on and off for years. its pretty damn good, but not perfect. sometimes the apps can be a little confusing for my partner.

Been with latest IPTV provider for about 3 years and for about £50.00 a year which I think it's a bargain. I have had the odd football block but they normally get round it. If you need to you can use a vpn for blocks and runs perfectly, no major issues worth mentioning. I have the odd down time when things get updated but for the price I'm not complaining.

You've also got a good point. My supplier is £60 a year, i'd be paying £200 just to watch the odd football game and F1. Plus, as @bazcfc1 said, its got american football too. Would mean i can save extra money by not paying for game pass. worst case scenario, I'll still have freesat and now tv entertainment to fall back on, along with my plex server.

I get C4HD off the sky dish.. do you not?? I have a euro c line that decodes nearly all the vm sky channels until the sports went off last week.

Im like you, a few bits of sports here and there, hardly any movies and get all the series the wife likes off e2iplayer.

Ditch the sky and get an open source enigma2 box and away ya go

I get C4HD off the sky dish.. do you not?? I have a euro c line that decodes nearly all the vm sky channels until the sports went off last week.

Im like you, a few bits of sports here and there, hardly any movies and get all the series the wife likes off e2iplayer.

Ditch the sky and get an open source enigma2 box and away ya go

I know you can get it on freesat, but you need to add it as a non freesat channel, so its a pain in the hoop.

I'll be honest. i've never went down the 'line' route. when i started looking into it, sky had just started the HD channel purge - so i never bothered with it. will ask in the satellite section for some suppliers to get some info, cheers.

My Tuppence Worth

I was in the same frame of mind a couple of years ago. Paying Sky over £90 a month for the full package (Full TV, Phone & Broadband). I ended up buying a zgemma H2S and 2 Roku Premiere's. I subscribe to Now TV Entertainment (£7.99) and buy a sports day pass whenever Leicester are playing (£8). They also offer a season football pass for £200 but Leicester aren't on TV over 23 times a season! (I think that is the £200 a year Sky Sports you were referring to. They did offer a £150 for all sports channels last year but not this year). I also subscribe to Amazon Prime & Netflix. I saved around £60 a month. Don't know if Now TV offer a F1 season pass but it might be worth looking into. I don't use any IPTV service.

I then use the Zgemma for FTA satellite for recording (I hardly ever watch anything live). I also use e2iplayer as well for a couple of shows that are not on Now TV or FTA. I know that Now TV is only 720p but it's good enough for me.

Also Plex on Roku is quite good. The new Express+ stick as well as the older Roku 4, Premiere and Ultra boxes are HEVC and UltraHD compatible. Great for Amazon Prime & Netflix if you have a Ultra HD TV.

Regards

CCF

Edited....

Just checked...F1 channel is included in the £200 football season offer.

Last edited:
My Tuppence Worth

I was in the same frame of mind a couple of years ago. Paying Sky over £90 a month for the full package (Full TV, Phone & Broadband). I ended up buying a zgemma H2S and 2 Roku Premiere's. I subscribe to Now TV Entertainment (£7.99) and buy a sports day pass whenever Leicester are playing (£8). They also offer a season football pass for £200 but Leicester aren't on TV over 23 times a season! (I think that is the £200 a year Sky Sports you were referring to. They did offer a £150 for all sports channels last year but not this year). I also subscribe to Amazon Prime & Netflix. I saved around £60 a month. Don't know if Now TV offer a F1 season pass but it might be worth looking into. I don't use any IPTV service.

I then use the Zgemma for FTA satellite for recording (I hardly ever watch anything live). I also use e2iplayer as well for a couple of shows that are not on Now TV or FTA. I know that Now TV is only 720p but it's good enough for me.

Also Plex on Roku is quite good. The new Express+ stick as well as the older Roku 4, Premiere and Ultra boxes are HEVC and UltraHD compatible. Great for Amazon Prime & Netflix if you have a Ultra HD TV.

Regards

CCF

Edited....

Just checked...F1 channel is included in the £200 football season offer.

Yeah I ended up just getting that deal. I'll try it for the season and see how much I use it. Can always go full iptv next year. With now tv boost hopefully coming out closer to the end of the year, it'll hopefully make a big difference.

Another good source of TV is TV player you don't get sky sports or bt sports but for £8 it's a good backup for selected channels especially if you have kids lol or sly go account £40 for year

Interesting how people are arriving at a compromise between iptv, sly legit, plex, fta and so on tailored to their own preferences. I say this as I have several iptv subs for the football, in particular the 3pm ko 's, the grandkids use the vod entirely for new releases not on netflix. In other words we use iptv for the things which are not available legit, we never use it for mainstream / live tv. The boss (my wife) is insistent we retain a basic sly+ package for 'ordinary' tv as its so user friendly. I know there are a very limited few iptv providers who will give you a sub just for just sport or you can get a plex sub for films but I think this is the way it will go in the future as opposed to channels from all over the world that never get viewed.

There is providers that do sports only subs just not trials for the sports only as people would milk it at a weekend and some give option to have world channels or not me personally I use plex Netflix tvplayer basic sky and iptv for my viewing may sound daft but as mentioned different things for different people in the household lol

There is providers that do sports only subs just not trials for the sports only as people would milk it at a weekend and some give option to have world channels or not me personally I use plex Netflix tvplayer basic sky and iptv for my viewing may sound daft but as mentioned different things for different people in the household lol
Dont suppose you can send details mate? Do you know if they are direct or re-sellers? As Im only really interested in the sports and a good quality stream (and obviously a fair price) dont want much do I :)

Interesting how people are arriving at a compromise between iptv, sly legit, plex, fta and so on tailored to their own preferences. I say this as I have several iptv subs for the football, in particular the 3pm ko 's, the grandkids use the vod entirely for new releases not on netflix. In other words we use iptv for the things which are not available legit, we never use it for mainstream / live tv. The boss (my wife) is insistent we retain a basic sly+ package for 'ordinary' tv as its so user friendly. I know there are a very limited few iptv providers who will give you a sub just for just sport or you can get a plex sub for films but I think this is the way it will go in the future as opposed to channels from all over the world that never get viewed.

I think it's the best way. I think if you put all your eggs in the one basket then you're asking for trouble - especially from the other half. Just that one afternoon where your net goes off or the iptv messes up and it can be a major pain in the arse.

I'm gonna go freesat from sky. As far as I can see, they offer channel 4 HD. Plus it's ease of use for the Mrs. Then we get free now tv entertainment, I've also got the sports from now tv too. We get free bt sport from bt, I've got my own server with plex on it with other boxsets and hundreds of movies. I've also got Netflix and Prime. Free Spotify too along with a load of music stored on the plex server. Along with a wee iptv sub for anything else in between. Although that runs out in November, but I'll prob carry that on till early next year. See how the nfl games look, might save me even more money next year.

I think that's me covered for any online and offline situations. Haha

Anyone else tried tvplayer. I've just cancelled sky due to having to pay £25.00 for entertainment pass with hd & box sets. I thought this was expensive and they also finished my discount period without telling me so got a bill for £41.00. Tried tvplayer even with a 200mb connection the picture quality is not so good. Any other choices out there for tv less movies/sport legit, I already have all the channels on iptv cable and sat line but I also like a legit sub. Virgin wanted another £20.00 per month for tv.

I was wondering about bt tv or talk talk tv but I think you need their broadband services which I don't want.

Back