Is the MAG520w3 worth it?

We've had a Mag 322 W1 for nearly a couple of years (which had replaced a broken older MAG model we'd also had for a number of years) and I noticed there's a new model out. Any thoughts on if it is worth the upgrade to the Mag 520 W3

Is it just new and shiny with added 4K or is there a compelling reason to get one? Our tv isn't 4K so until that changes there's no attraction in that aspect.

I know some people mentioned switching over to another brand but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the faff of trying to find a good iptv supplier when we have a reliable one for the mag box. Plus my other half is comfortable with the interface.

Thanks.

I don't know the box, or any mag to be honest, but a lot of IPTV providers are no longer supporting or offering/renewing subs for Mag boxes, I would check with your provider and make sure that you will be able renew the sub for your mag box before you buy a new mag box

I personally don't trust mag boxes since infomir can flag any illegal streaming
If you want to keep the sane interface i recommend the TVIP 605 box which is a 4 k box and acts exactly like a mag box plus the advantage that the Mac address is rarely cloned by Mac scanners since all Mac addresses start with 10:27:BE as compared to the traditional 00;1A:79.

This warning was posted last year and you can read it here :

@everyone
Notice mags are not safe

Simple thing is Mags are no longer safe. Google did a deal with infomir so Google can have their streaming services available on Mag. Infomir updated their terms to say basically they will route out any illegal streaming. Firmware updates as far as we know have placed spyware software onto mags so any illegal streaming will automatically be flagged. Those IPs you see on your mags are probably agents or infomir. Mags are not safe. The leaks that caused the blocks were from Mac addresses that revealed the DNS of the reseller. Took a lot of time and stress to get passed ISP blocks in the first place, caused by mags, mac addresses on lists, DNS on lists. Google's deal with infomir. Read these Google deal = Infomir is among the Google partners on the official Android TV webpage | Infomir news Infomir spying = Infomir protects the copyright | Infomir news Basically **** mags off and sell Android, stbemu pro is fine, your own apps are fine, mags though, stop selling and try to sell android.

Ok, thanks. I wasn't aware there were any problems with them. I haven't had any issues at any point over the last couple of years and pay my supplier month to month so maybe I've got lucky?

All the same, I guess its best to hold off from buying the new model just in case.

Ok, thanks. I wasn't aware there were any problems with them. I haven't had any issues at any point over the last couple of years and pay my supplier month to month so maybe I've got lucky?

All the same, I guess its best to hold off from buying the new model just in case.

Your current provider will offer subs on android, firestick etc as well as mags so you can keep the same provider on a new device.

Amazon Prime Day is coming up where there'll be good deals on firesticks, or if you want to consider other devices there's an android device review thread somewhere in the iptv section here.

Ive got the mag 520, previous to that had mag256 for a while, could be just me but the front end on the newer 520 seemed
alot brighter and easier on the eyes, more blue etc, new remote on 520 is probably a bit more modern than other mags,
still cheapish,

the biggest problem i had when i first got it most iptv providers didnt support it, I ended up with 3 or 4 tests all ended with getting black screen,
fortunately, found techkings and a kind member gave me a sub that works perfect on mag 520.

The only other thing i miss o id use box more is AC3 audio, tend to use other devices that i can get it on,

I personally don't trust mag boxes since infomir can flag any illegal streaming
Yep it's true. But now there is variety among legal sources. In terms of quality and hardware, Infomir boxes are not bad. mag425a or mag500a for example.

Last edited:
When you say Infomir can 'flag up' illegal streaming, exactly 'how' is that done, as I've been using mag boxes for over 10 years now, swear by them!

When you say Infomir can 'flag up' illegal streaming, exactly 'how' is that done, as I've been using mag boxes for over 10 years now, swear by them!
How infomir flag up anything is irrelevant, most providers are turning Mac address lines away, existing ones are being disconnected.
Throw it away and get Android or enigma2 to future proof yourself, mags are finished.

Well, sorry, I think my MAG box provides a better quality vid than say, my firestick - and unless I get 'informed' that I'm being blacklisted or possibly prosecuted I prefer having both 'just in case'!
I do agree that some providers (IPTV) have stopped covering MAG's but so far I've always managed to find one who does.

Agree as not all Mag boxes are bad but there are still some providers out there who coiver them without any problems. But perosnally I still prefer hybrid boxes such as Buzztv or Formuler as with Mag Boxes and TVIP boxes they are only Linux and to add VPN you still need an external VPN router wehreas with hybrid boxes you can add the VPN app directly

Thats fine mate, I do have a vpn with router but currently am using MAG256 wirelessly in bedroom without any issues so far.

In any case whether we like it or not Mag Boxes and TVIP Boxes are pioneer into manufacturing these boxes and strangely enough one is from Ukraine and other from St petersburg Russia ,

Agree as not all Mag boxes are bad but there are still some providers out there who coiver them without any problems. But perosnally I still prefer hybrid boxes such as Buzztv or Formuler as with Mag Boxes and TVIP boxes they are only Linux and to add VPN you still need an external VPN router wehreas with hybrid boxes you can add the VPN app directly
Why does being Linux mean you need a VPN router,?
You can run a VPN on Linux, in fact virtually all routers are Linux, as are E2 boxes ,
Even Android is based on Linux , iOS and MS use a form of Linux kernel.
Linux is probably the most used backend OS in the world.

i buy mag520w3 stb is not support can you help me

Attachments

• E0658E80-D489-4CC0-9A1F-C61B42C73763.jpeg
    E0658E80-D489-4CC0-9A1F-C61B42C73763.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 16
Back