Is the VU Uno 4K any good?

satman007

There don't seem to be many threads here about them. Is this because the box is relatively new?

It's a VU+, they have good rep, they look good - this box is 4K and really cheap for a 4K VU box. I would have throught more people would be raving about them?
They only run oscam due to the chipset is a that an issue?
I see they are not supported yet by whoosh builds, is that the issue?
Would love to see some 4K channels!

These are worrying times to be thinking about investing in any box going forward..> Can anyone advise?

I have a VU+ Uno 4K box and as I'm new to linux have found it all very difficult. Main reason I got the box was to view 4K programmes in true 4K. as I have a 4K television. Well most all 4K programmes I can find on Hotbird 13, Astra 19.2 and Astra 28.2 are FTA Demo channels, doesn't seem to be anything else. And setting up the OScam in linux has proved to be a nightmare. A lot of hard work for very little in return, especially when you consider there's only 6 to 7 4K channels to view and they're all FTA anyway. So yes purchase the box if, unlike me, you are pretty good at linux, but if you just want 4K stuff to watch, any 4K box should do, as it's only 4K FTA Demo channels you will find.

Uno 4k setting up should be similar to setting up other boxes from scratch just no backup for it (unless someone buys me one :() Oscam is harder to setup but we have a few threads covering this you haven't said for sat or cable but if for cable then the fbc cable tuner has a great advantage record upto 7 channels, im not sure how fbc works on multi sats though.

Wooshbuild might be good but @wooshman cant buy every box lol so I would say get it if its for cable others will tell you about how fbc works on sat

@satman007 I have my Uno 4K setup to watch both Hotbird 13 and Astra 19.2 at the same time, by configuring the first of the 8 tuners available in the Uno, to use DiSEqc A/B, with Port A set to Hotbird and Port B set to Astra 19.2 . To get the signals from both the satellites, I use a 6 degree Monobloc LNB on my dish and the cable from the LNB is connected to the first LNB IN connector on the back of the Uno box, and it all works fine.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I bought this box this week and i'm happy enough with it. Took me a couple of days to get everything setup how I like it, but that's purely down too not using a community build and doing it all myself (If you prefer community builds, I believe the iPab image is quite popular which is based on OpenVix).

I guess really it comes down too what you want to do with it though. I can't honestly say I prefer it more than my previous zgemma box, but I use it too watch TV and stream upstairs. I don't really push the limits of the hardware so I can't say it's any better than an even cheaper box for me at least. Of course once we start getting some 4k channels on cable, and assuming you have a 4k TV then it's a good and relatively cheap 4K setup, however that's more of a positive for 4k boxes in general rather than this particular one.

I'll be honest, if you're just watching TV from sat or cable then there's no need to go expensive. You're not going too see much, if any benefit between a zgemma and a Vu box. For the most part, it comes down to the software, and not even Openvix vs OpenAtv, once again if your just watching TV, both operating systems are relatively similar. It comes down to the plugins and the settings you configure. Lets face it, it's the stuff layered on top of the O/S's which we interact with on a regular basis, the box itself and even the O/S are just the underlying vehicle.

For me, I spent 2 days just installing any plugins I could remember having on my zgemma and setting up the config & skin to also be like my zgemma (which was using woosh - I kinda wish woosh would publish a log of what he's added/changed on top of ATV just so I know exactly what's been done). Apart from having a different looking box beneath my TV and a new remote, I can honestly say i've not noticed it's a different box at all.

Having said all that, the nice thing about VU boxes in general are that whilst you are paying for a top brand product (and the premium that goes with the name), you do also get a solid device. Official openvix support, dedicated support forum, top quality hardware (and this thing does have double the CPU & memory of most other boxes on the market, which is nice to have should I wish to expand my uses for it).

As far as oscam goes, I wouldn't worry. There's a thread on here somewhere containing the files you need for that. Just throw the provided files in the corrcet directory and add your line and your done (I don't consider myself an expert by any means, and it was simple enough). There is I beleive a version of mgcam compiled for ARM chipsets, but honestly I wouldn't bother, oscam is actively maintained and developed, and it's really not difficult to get running.

I hope that all makes sense and is useful too someone. If there was one conclusion I would draw though it's that if you're just looking for something to watch some TV, this is a decent box, it doesn't have the bells & whistles like front lcd displays but it's a safe bet, you won't be disappointed as long as your not expecting to notice some huge difference between this and another box. If you want to spend as little as possible however, you'd be just as happy with a zgemma or similar cheaper box.

Back