ISP issues??

scrfta

Hey guys, I recently joined a new ISP called zzoomm. I was with BT but the rollout of full fibre was taking forever in my area then zzoomm came along, offered speeds of 450mb and 6 months free.

Now the actual connection and speeds are just fine, sons are happy with their gaming, most things work perfectly well and downloads take seconds. There's just a couple of problems. Certain apps that require location services are not playing nicely, one of them being the built in speed test in smarters. I know these are not necessarily the best indicator for internet speeds but it's the location thing that is confusing.

Zzoomm distance.jpg
Now, I am most certainly not 7000km away from Preston!! More like <100 miles.
If I use a separate speedtest app the results are fine. Ordinarily I wouldn't be bothered about this but I do have some freezing issues with the streams that I don't have if I switch back to my BT connection which is much slower. (Up to 76mb)

I also have the same problem with William hill betting app. If I am connected to zzoomm and try to access my account on the app I am redirected to a spanish login page. If I switch the connection to BT then I can access my account without issues.

Screenshot_20230130-164525_William Hill.jpg

I have spoken to both zzoomm and William hill, they're playing the blame game, it's not us it's them!!! Neither one of them can explain it though so I'm hoping we have somebody here with a very technical mind that can explain what may be causing this.

Zzoomm insist that they do not use any security software and don't throttle connections. I have tried with and without a VPN but a VPN only makes matters worse. I've checked the router settings and there is nothing in there which restricts anything I do.

I'm at a complete loss, I can't complain that they are not providing a service because they are, it's just these little annoyances that are bothering me!

Any ideas? I'm still in contact with zzoomm but they're just going through the usual "oh try this speed test" & "how far from your router are you" Well I'm not 7000 f**king kilometres away!!🤣🤣

To be honest mate. I've never heard of Zzoom. But if the problem Wasent there with BT. I think you've already answered your own question. Going forwards it's up to you, do you have a cancellation period.... Good luck... Paul

I also don't think you've cleared your browser cookies etc when you've turned off your vpn hence why it hasn't changed back
Out of interest what vpn are you using?

Your VPN is set to a Spanish speaking country, maybe Mexico?
Which is about 7000 km from Preston
VPN is always set to Netherlands which is nowhere near 7000km away. I have tried it on devices that do not even have the VPN installed on with the same result. The screenshots in the first post were taken on my phone. I only use the VPN on my nvidia shield.

I'm using digibit VPN.

Last edited:
Ok I just got off the phone with zzoomm tech support. They are at least trying to be helpful.

They said because they are a fairly new ISP (3-4 years old) their assigned IP ranges are still recognised as foreign by some websites running older code. Apparently they have re registered (if that's the correct term) the IP ranges to uk locations but it apparently takes time to update.

I have no idea if this is true or if it's bullshit!

To test the theory though I connected my vpn to a uk server and tried my William hill account again. I could actually access my account details!

I did the same on my shield and ran a speedtest. It located me 7km from Manchester, speeds are lousy, 24-25mb but at least it's showing local connections now.

Not sure if the poor speeds is down to digibit or the speedtest built into smarters, I'll try and get a different vpn for now. Digibit isn't the best but it's been ok for me until now.

I'll keep testing stuff though. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. 😁

Oh and if anyone knows a decent but cheap monthly VPN I can use to test I'd appreciate it.

Search for "Analiti" in the Google Play Store on your Shield, it's a free speed test app. Nothing to say it'll give any different readings than the smarters built in one but at least if it's the same results it'll confirm accuracy.

I never trust the speed test in smarters ect you could run the test in smarters app make a note of it then try on the app suggested in post #9 and see if different also digibit isn’t the best vpn to use imo cheap as chips but slow as fekk lol

It's not about trusting the speedtest in smarters, it's the difference in location when switching between ISP's.

At least I'm getting somewhere for now. I'll take a look at that surf shark and the speedtest app anyway. Thanks

Back