Just received my new Zgemma Star 2S in post. Can I ask a few question please? Thanks

ringo46

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to the whole Zgemma Star 2S scene. I've just received my box through the post and I'm going to set up later on. I've had a good read through the forums for guides etc and have spent a lot of time researching.
I think I know what to do but can I please ask you more experienced users a few questions please?
Firstly I have idiots guide to installing sucmnsee's image but I noticed there is 2 downloadable files mtvpockets OpenATV4.2 and Vix Apollo 165 Sucmnsee's backup. Are these basically 2 different versions OpenATV and OpenVix? What's difference better them?
I have my new box so do I just place Vix Apollo 165 Sucmnsee's backup onto a USB and flash my box with it 1st of all before I do anything else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm finding it hard to find the information I want, sorry to sound like an idiot but I'm new to all this.

Thanks a lot - Ringo

Hi, it just depends mate there not too much between them. I have sucmnsee's vix 3.2.0 image flashed on my zgemma but some folk like atv because it's supported by the manufacturer. It's entirely up to yourself, if u know how to flash a box then try them all, remember to save your line details if u have one. Some guys think certain images work smoother than others and crash less, ie, no box rebooting.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The 2 images you mention above, although they will work fine are a little dated now, OpenATV 5.1 is the latest release and Vix has newer builds out there too, the difference between both is minimal really, I've always preferred Vix to OpenATV but am currently using OpenATV no problem and once skinned they look and feel very much the same, OpenATV has the benefit of being able to update OTA where's this isn't possible on Vix, which may be slightly faster if anything.

If you have done plenty of reading on here and you are confident I would build an image from stratch, its pretty straight forward and Kiddac has written a really good guide here - http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-2s/76732-guinea-pigs-needed.html

Your box will have been shipped with an image on it (most likely OpenATV unless you have bought a pre-setup with gift job) so you could just start with that, otherwise you need to download the image you want, unzip it to a Fat32 formatted USB pop it in the back and switch the box on to start.

P.S. its very additive to mess around and tinker with these, so advisable to make a backup to keep incase things go belly up should you start playing around with plugins and settings etc

good luck!

Thankyou both, I understand more now. I haven't brought my box with a 'gift' so will need to add a line but at the moment just wanted to get it set up. Not sure if my box even has an image on there at all, can I just plug it in to find out? I'm thinking I'll go for the latest OpenATV to start with to get used to things, if I turn on my box now and it already has OpenATV on it is there anyway to find out what version it's running? Or would you just install latest version straight off without even turning box on?
And I'm not sure about these lines do I need an C or N line and what's the difference between them?

Thanks again - Ringo

Last edited:
Thankyou both, I understand more now. I haven't brought my box with a 'gift' so will need to add a line but at the moment just wanted to get it set up. Not sure if my box even has an image on there at all, can I just plug it in to find out? I'm thinking I'll go for the latest OpenATV to start with to get used to things, if I turn on my box now and it already has OpenATV on it is there anyway to find out what version it's running? Or would you just install latest version straight off without even turning box on?
And I'm not sure about these lines do I need an C or N line and what's the difference between them?

Thanks again - Ringo

Sure you can plug it it and switch it on, the boot logo will give you a good idea whats on it, id be 99% certain it would be OpenATV, you can then go into the information screen to find out the exact version, if it is 5.1 then you could just run a OTA to get it up to latest release

Nline is the best bet to go for, should have an easy time with it setting up, using, ecms etc

I have a general relating to the posts here but felt it didn't warrant a new topic. ive been around here a few months now and my first install was the sucmnsee's vix 3.2.0 with fraggle skin. this has worked a treat for me but since there are newer versions out I intend to reflash to openATV 5.1 and go with the slyk skin.

my question is will I lose my recorded content on my hdd with a reflash? figured I may need to re-initialize the drive or something...

I have a general relating to the posts here but felt it didn't warrant a new topic. ive been around here a few months now and my first install was the sucmnsee's vix 3.2.0 with fraggle skin. this has worked a treat for me but since there are newer versions out I intend to reflash to openATV 5.1 and go with the slyk skin.

my question is will I lose my recorded content on my hdd with a reflash? figured I may need to re-initialize the drive or something...

Nope the HDD stays as it is, just power the box off, remove HDD reflash with USB and then when you plug it back in after the box will use it as b4, very often you don't have to remount either it just automatically does it

your recorded content will stay on the hdd, just use a different usb stick to flash your box. do not initialize your hdd again, that will format it.

Thanks again everyone, you've helped me so much and understand things a lot more now. Will have boot up the box later on tonight and let you all know how I get on

Ringo

Thanks for all your help, box now all setup. Created my open OpenATV image from scratch. Easy really, just sounds complicated before you have a go :)

It's possible to update vix 3.2 OTA I've been doing it with out any issues all it does is rename the box to maxdigital xp1000 but doesn't cause any problems.

Back