Kelly communications

Peacor

Hey guys,

I start with Kelly's on 7th Feb, got training in Enfield, which is good for me as a Spurs fan.

Does anyone here work for or have worked for Kelly's?

I'm after some advice on the self employed part, cause the HMRC have a tool which states its a PAYE job.

Also what the frig can I claim back on the self assessment?

I'll get paid by a third party who'll deduct the 20% tax plus take a £16 payment for all their hard work of deducting it.

£16 a week or month?
If you are being deducted 20% this means you are classed as self employed regardless of what it says on HMRC.

What can you claim back...well I claimed for almost everything.
Phone bills
Computer parts and accessories, printing etc.
Car running costs and fuel.
Part of your home broadband, gas and electric bills as you use a room as an office.
I claimed £20 per week for someone to answer the phone and the same for a kid over the road to clean my van/car so that was 2K a year claimed back
Anything you buy from B&Q.
All gloves, shoes, work wear and such likes.
Just save receipts in a box and when you fill in your returns online next year you can work it all out, I used to get a nice rebate, sometimes a grand, very nice

£16 a week I believe.
So I can pretty much claim anything back, even the £16 a week fee?

It'll be my first time as self employed, so a bit nervous about it all.

That sounds like a good win come rebate time.

£16 a week I believe.

Not sure you'll be able to claim the £16 but it is an expense so maybe you can, ask one of your workmates after you've been there a while.
You are only claiming the tax back on the money you have laid out.
Given that they are stopping you 20%, you are due a rebate just based on your tax code, probably 1257 which means you can earn £12,570 before you pay tax.

If for example you earn £30k, you will be stopped £6k in tax (20%) but you are only eligible for tax on about £17k due to your allowance.
So you wil get the overpayment back as a rebate.
The tax you paid on the £17k is what you are trying to whittle down, if you can prove (not that it will ever be checked) that you have laid out £5k on petrol, parts and all your other expenses, it brings your taxable income down from £17k to £12k.
20% of £12k is £2,400 but you've paid £6k so you'll be given £3,600 back.

Please note you'll have to pay your own NI contributions too

£16 a week I believe.

Sounds like there useing an Umbrella company to pay you,Your going to need to register self employed on the CIS to get a UTR number.

Make sure to Keep a note on everything you spend and i have in the past added the cost to get paid on my tax return.

You will need to do a tax return when April comes,You will need your Gateway pass to do that

https://www.gov.uk/what-is-the-construction-industry-scheme

It sounds very much like you will be working under an umbrella scheme,
If that is the case, run away.
VERY FAST ,!
the £16 will very soon escalate into 3 figures.
no one should be charging you to deduct your CIS ,
I'm not even sure if what Kelly's do would even come under CIS tbh, that's what makes me think it's umbrella.

Beat me to it @pieeater2015

Most construction companies if your self employed doing Civils use umbrella companies to pay you.its a way of the construction firm to get round the rules because after so many weeks working for the same place they are supposed to make you PAYE,Also its a way for the company to save money on National insurance,Don't be surprised if the umbrella company changes a couple of times through the year.Just make sure the payroll company does not claim expenses each week for you because it comes out your rebate what you should get in April,Myself i prefer to be self employed but its not for everyone.

Most construction companies if your self employed doing Civils use umbrella companies to pay you.its a way of the construction firm to get round the rules because after so many weeks working for the same place they are supposed to make you PAYE,Also its a way for the company to save money on National insurance,Don't be surprised if the umbrella company changes a couple of times through the year.Just make sure the payroll company does not claim expenses each week for you because it comes out your rebate what you should get in April,Myself i prefer to be self employed but its not for everyone.
It's just a stop gap until Openreach give me an offer. My mates waited two years until they got taken on.

Back