Lampard 'Goal' Blunder Sparks Hawk-Eye Uproar

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Uproar over England's disallowed World Cup goal has reignited the row over the lack of goal-line technology in football.

165.jpg

Germany's Manuel Neuer watches the ball bounce over his goal-line

English fans thought midfielder Frank Lampard had scored a vital equaliser during his team's knock-out match against Germany in Bloemfontein, South Africa.

Replays clearly showed the ball bouncing a yard over the Germans' goal-line, before it ricocheted off the crossbar and bounced back onto the pitch.

But a blunder by Uruguayan match officials meant the goal was not awarded and the first-half ended with Germany leading 2-1, before they eventually won 4-1.

Prime Minister David Cameron has thrown this weight behind calls for the use of video technology.

Speaking at the G20 summit in Canada, he suggested that the use of cameras to help referees judge tough decisions should be considered.

"I do think that the use of technology in sport can be a bonus," said the PM.

"I'm a keen follower of cricket and tennis and I think the third umpire has been a great thing and the machines that bleep at Wimbledon are quite handy too.

"Maybe that's something that football could now have a look at."

After his team's defeat, England manager Fabio Capello said: "The Lampard incident was one of the most important in the match. The referee made one of the biggest mistakes.

"We scored. It is incredible. In this period of technology, in this period where we can have five referees, we cannot decide if that was a goal or not."

Former England captain Alan Shearer led calls for goal-line technology to be introduced in football, to ensure goals are correctly awarded.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has steadfastly refused to consider the possibility of goal-line technology, but Shearer believed he now has to reconsider.

166.jpg

Lampard stunned after his goal was disallowed

The footballer-turned-pundit said on BBC1: "It was a good yard (over), all the ex-professionals and the superstars want it, every single person is calling for goal-line technology except for one person.

"Not everyone can be wrong can they?"

Paul Hawkins, managing director of the company Hawk-Eye which has developed goal-line technology, also said Fifa should now change their stance.

Mr Hawkins said: "It did take a series of poor line calls in the 2004 US Open as the catalyst for change for electronic line calling in tennis.

"If this incident is the same catalyst in football then, whilst it is disappointing that Fifa have been reactive rather than proactive, at least football will change for the better in the long run."

But Gordon Smith, the Scottish FA's ex-chief executive who had proposed a new look at technology, suspected the Lampard 'goal' would not persuade Fifa to change their minds.

Smith said: "(Lampard's 'goal') was not significant to the result… I'm sure Fifa were relieved it was not 2-1 as it would have been a major issue and talking point.

"Everyone watching at home saw what happened and these situations will arise again in the future, but I don't think they'll change it."

167.jpg

The disallowed goal has sparked uproar

Fifa ruled out any more experiments with goal-line technology at the International Football Association Board meeting in March.

England's FA and the Scottish FA voted in favour but Fifa, the Welsh and Northern Irish FAs were against it.

Blatter had said: "It is often the case that, even after a slow-motion replay, 10 different experts will have 10 different opinions on what the decision should have been.

"Fans love to debate any given incident in a game. It is part of the human nature of our sport."

Last edited:
Fifa president Sepp Blatter is a joke
get rid of him and bring in the technology
ireland lost out - england lost out and mexico were also robbed with the offside incident
bring it in i say, and put an end to incidents like this happening time and time again :dunno:

Back