Laptop connected to Tv via hdmi cable no sound

moh

Deleted, at user's request.
Looking for some help for a friend hopefully some members here maybe able to help out.....i have done a google search regarding the problem but i am not coming up with a solution :confused:

Ok he has a compaq pressario laptop just purchased recently has a philips 42" lcd tv and has connected the laptop to the tv via a hdmi cable,on playing videos etc the picture is perfect but he is not getting any sound would anyone in the know think that this problem could be sorted via settings on the tv or settings on the laptop any help would be appreciated :)

I think it works the same as my cable to tv, as in it won't carry sound and you might need an audio jack to left/right cable (about 2euro in Power City) to hook up to TV audio input from your pc also. I could be wrong but thats what it sounds like mate.

Moh..........Tell your mate to try this......

I had the same problem where the sound was coming out my laptop. I solved this by going in to the sound options on my computer (which you can access in your control panel) then set your sound default as HDMI. This should solve the problem, just remember to set the default back to the laptops speakers when you are finished using it on your TV.
I hope that helps.

Ah is that it knot! Don't have HDMI TV or lappy but my cable doesn't carry audio just video but my cousin asked me about this recently also. Haven't got around to looking at his setup yet but will use this nugget of info cheers mate! (y)

Moh..........Tell your mate to try this......

I had the same problem where the sound was coming out my laptop. I solved this by going in to the sound options on my computer (which you can access in your control panel) then set your sound default as HDMI. This should solve the problem, just remember to set the default back to the laptops speakers when you are finished using it on your TV.
I hope that helps.

Thanks knot he just went through what you posted and set it to the hdmi the test beeps came through on the tv but when he played a video the sound is still coming from the laptop and nothing from the tv....:confused: would you think he would have to mess with the settings on the tv??

The only computer (or laptop) connection that carries both video and sound is HDMI. If you do not have a HDMI/DVI connector on the back of your computer, then you will have to use the VGA-composite or s-video connectors to display your PC's output on an external monitor like an LCD TV.

Personally i prefer to use a decent speaker system from the comp,
Mooley - Your Welcome bud, (y)
moh.........hope This helps your mate .

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Not quite sure what model tv your mate has but you probably also have go to your TV's options and set as sound input the HDMI port.
hope this helps bud

Last edited:
I have just passed that on to him knot its a bit awkward asking someone to help as i am not at the source of the problem ie at his house and he is not very computer literate,ill let you know how he gets on cheers for your help knot very much appreciated (y)

The only computer (or laptop) connection that carries both video and sound is HDMI. If you do not have a HDMI/DVI connector on the back of your computer, then you will have to use the VGA-composite or s-video connectors to display your PC's output on an external monitor like an LCD TV.

Personally i prefer to use a decent speaker system from the comp,
Mooley - Your Welcome bud, (y)
moh.........hope This helps your mate .

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Not quite sure what model tv your mate has but you probably also have go to your TV's options and set as sound input the HDMI port.
hope this helps bud

Just an update knot, my friend just contacted me to say when he restarted the laptop after doing what your post said to do the sound is sorted on the tv so thanks again for your help great stuff cheers (y)

Back