Techkings

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

laptop infomation please

dee

TK Veteran
looks like im going to get the razor xp installed.
wot else will i need to get it up and running, nortons half price at tesco at the mo, its got built in wireless, any help on the matter would be great TK, thanx.

ferguj1

Super Duper Modulator
Staff member
I have read that the latest versions of Norton are much improved, BUT with so many excellent freeware programs out there, why mess with it at all. I use Avira AntiVir Personal and it has been working great.
As Noel posted, have a look at dk's thread, it has a lot of good information in it.
What other kind of info was you looking for, aside form security software dee?

dee

TK Veteran
setting up wireless ferg understand it can be a pain, wots needed to do that. would be a good start.

rtm27

VIP Member
Setting up a wireless network is very easy, Dee. I have helped a couple people at work over the phone set up their network.

dee

TK Veteran
it was you rtm that got me thinking when your pc went down, thought id better cover myself, if i get into probs il let you no.(y)

rtm27

VIP Member
LOL.....glad I got ya thinkin!!

For my wireless, I have a wireless G router.....updated the firmware and have it WAP2 encrypted....I know there is the N wireless, but I haven't dealt with them, so I tend to stick with the G network.

dee

TK Veteran
just gone back and read it all again, says primary drive none, so wots that going to cost to sort, don` forget i no nowt. lol

ferguj1

Super Duper Modulator
Staff member
So the laptop you are looking at does not come with a hard drive installed? The price will be dependent upon the size and type that you require. You know that I am from the states so I know not where to tell you to shop at.

dee

TK Veteran
cheers ferg, other im looking at is a dell d410,1.73 ghz wifi,dvd,xp price £185.
1024mb, 1gb, 40gb wireless. just went back and had a look.

Last edited:

ferguj1

Super Duper Modulator
Staff member
Dee, I am just curious, are you just wanting a way to back up your files and stuff? Or are you actually wanting/needing a backup pc?

That last post sounds a little better, at least it comes with a HDD. Did you post the details of the other? I guess I need to go back and see. lol

dee

TK Veteran
no ferg i didnt, lookin so the misses can play, but also need a back up, i was given this pc, its hand built, already changed the hardrive. basically lookin to have another option if this goes down, not worried about down loading, iv a dvd player sitting under the plasma that never gets used,lol also a soround sound thats only used for sport. basicaly lookin for a half decent lappy of ebay. then il pest you all how to sort it. soz if im being a pain, but im thick when it comes to computers.

ferguj1

Super Duper Modulator
Staff member
You are definitely not being a pain dee. We wouldn't be here if we didn't enjoy helping. I may not be as much help as some of the others in this area, but I will assist all I can.

rtm27

VIP Member
Somewhere you had posted that you were looking at a razor and mentioned the company. I had did aquick search, and for one being sold on ebay...that I believe someone had just purchased.

Toshiba Razor on Ebay

The top description said no HDD but the details did say it had a 40GB HDD.