Laptop shuts down during boot AND external HDD failure!

cdy

A few weeks back I backed up most of the the docs on my old Toshiba because it's been running slower than a one-legged horse and I intended to format it. I decided to finish the job today. However, it won't power up, instead it shuts down during boot-up. I've tried blowing cold air from the missus' hairdryer whilst booting in case it's a case of the CPU overheating, but that hasn't helped. The power source seems to be fine: The 'mains-powered' and 'battery-charging' icons are both on, However, when I power up it goes through the motions for about 3 seconds then shuts back down.

It gets worse.

As I needed access to a doc on the laptop, which I believe had been backed up on my Western Digital 'my book' external HDD I decided to connect the external HDD to my newer Dell laptop. I asked the missus the hand me the power lead. I didn't realise that she passed me the power lead for the Toshiba. After about 5 seconds (just after it appeared in 'my computer') the external HDD suddenly died. It was then that I realised the missus had handed me the wrong power lead. So, now I'm in a situation where my Toshiba won't boot and my external HDD appears to close to-death. I say 'close-to-death' because their is still something there: The blue power light is flashing, which gives me hope that their is a change it hasn't been fried. (Maybe an internal fuse or diode has shorted to protect the drive from frying??)

Have to do some more thinking on your laptop, don't deal with them much. As for the External drive, if all else fails, you can pop open the case and connect the drive using an adapter cable. More than likely just something in the board for the housing and not the drive itself.

ok usually can be fixed as when i was into fixing laptops etc it was common with these hardrives. however, it is quite tricky i would advise you to take your local pc repair shop. they will charge between £75.00 and 125.00. DO NOT TRY AND DO IT YOURSELF. normally if you try and power the hardrive up again it makes a clicking or spinning sound.

ok usually can be fixed as when i was into fixing laptops etc it was common with these hardrives. however, it is quite tricky i would advise you to take your local pc repair shop. they will charge between £75.00 and 125.00. DO NOT TRY AND DO IT YOURSELF. normally if you try and power the hardrive up again it makes a clicking or spinning sound.

Do you mean I'll need to replace the HD or that the existing one will be repairable?

you can fix the current one, and get all the data off it. not all pc shops will know how to archive the repair. and do not put in the freezer like some other forums suggest

Back