Larsson eyes exit with Sweden short on hope

Knotaclu

VIP Member
Monday October 12 2009

HENRIK LARSSON indicated that he'll quit the Swedish national team next week even if it qualifies for the World Cup.

The striker became Sweden's oldest ever outfield player in its 1-0 loss to Denmark on Saturday at 38 years, 20 days.

He hinted that Sweden's final Group 1 game against Albania on Wednesday could be his last for the team to cap a brilliant international career.

To get into the play-offs, Sweden must win and hope Portugal slips up against winless Malta.

"It's probably over now," Larsson said. "Today, I feel that there will be no World Cup even if we qualify."

Larsson has retired several times before only to come back, but he says this time is different.

"I'm 38, it's not likely that I will not commit myself to more championships," he said.

The Sweden captain, who has scored 37 goals in 106 internationals, will end the season with hometown team Helsingborg. When the domestic season ends, it could be the last match of his career.

"I don't know what will happen," he said. "I'd like to become a coach. I've gained a lot of experience throughout the years."

Back