Leicester City win Premier League title

maff

VIP Member
Leicester City have won the Premier League title in one of the greatest sporting stories of all time.

Tottenham's 2-2 draw at Chelsea on Monday confirmed a stunning achievement for Claudio Ranieri's side.

Leicester started the campaign as 5,000-1 outsiders for the title after almost being relegated last season.

But they have lost just three league games in what has been described as a "fairytale" and the "most unlikely triumph in the history of team sport".

Closest challengers Spurs, Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United and last year's champions Chelsea, have all failed to match the Foxes' consistency across the season.

"In terms of domestic football, Leicester City winning the Premier League is the greatest achievement ever and I think it will never be surpassed," former Leicester midfielder Robbie Savage told BBC Sport.

"It is incredible. This is a turning point in Premier League history."

After Leicester drew 1-1 at Manchester United on Sunday, Tottenham needed to win all three of their remaining league games to catch the Foxes.

But their title hopes were ended when they squandered a 2-0 lead to only draw at London rivals Chelsea.

Match of the Day pundit and former Newcastle United, Blackburn Rovers and England striker Alan Shearer said Leicester's achievement was "the biggest thing ever in football".

Shearer, who won the Premier League in 1995 with underdogs Blackburn, told BBC Sport: "For a team like Leicester to come and take the giants on with their wealth and experience - not only take them on but to beat them - I think it's the biggest thing to happen in football."

Gianni Infantino, president of football's world governing body Fifa, said Leicester's "beautiful story" was a "fairytale".
'A sporting miracle'

Well done Leicester, but always remember... Ipswich Town did it over 50 years before you! :woohoo: '60 -' 61 Division Two Champions and '61 - '62 Division One Champions and by the way... we have an FA Cup too! Being second at something is still good though ROFL

Not taking anything away from your guys at all, it's great to see that good old hard work & effort on the pitch can still overcome. Perhaps it might wake a few of the other primadonna teams up to realizing that spending money doesn't always equal success.

Keep up the good work and hope to see you in the Premier one day, though I'm not holding my breath!

Leicester winning the premier league has deffinately made every other sport more interesting making smaller teams and lesser athletes believe they can win, looking forward to middlesbrough winning the premier league next season

Back