LG G4 phone damaged?

channelking

Hi

So earlier on had dropped my tea all over the table which in turn went into the extension lead and on my phone. Exension lead hesistant on turning on just in case it sparks or blows up.

Have left the phone to dry for few hours and just checked screen is black nothing is coming on.

That mean phone is completely gone and no way to fix it?

New phone is not an option at all for me.

Last few days things have gone really damn pear shaped and wrong for me and really stressed about it all.

Hi

So earlier on had dropped my tea all over the table which in turn went into the extension lead and on my phone. Exension lead hesistant on turning on just in case it sparks or blows up.

Have left the phone to dry for few hours and just checked screen is black nothing is coming on.

That mean phone is completely gone and no way to fix it?

New phone is not an option at all for me.

Last few days things have gone really damn pear shaped and wrong for me and really stressed about it all.
I assume you took the battery out of the phone as soon as it got wet?

And left the back off, dried as much as possible with tissue and dried on a radiator for a few hours?

I once dropped an old Nokia into a drink, fully immersed.
I did the above and next day it worked fine, except the buttons were a bit sticky

Did you leave the phone in a bag of rice? Not sure if that works but a lot of people say it's supposed to take out the moisture.

No mate just wiped phone inside out with cloth and left to dry.

I assume you took the battery out of the phone as soon as it got wet?

And left the back off, dried as much as possible with tissue and dried on a radiator for a few hours?

I once dropped an old Nokia into a drink, fully immersed.
I did the above and next day it worked fine, except the buttons were a bit sticky

I did take battery out few minutes later.

Dried the phone front and back and left near radiator.

So you reckon wait 24 hours mate?

I am concerned because I can hear the volume when pressing the volume buttons but nothing is coming on just black screen.

I'd leave it on top of a radiator overnight with the back and any cases etc removed to allow any moisture to escape.
Turn it occasionally so warm air can flow through in different directions

You can try the bag of rice method as recommended above by @dsayers2014
I've never tried it myself but it's supposed to work, rice keeps salt dry in the salt shaker and stops it clumping

On top of a radiator will be far too high and direct a heat and could easily cause your screen to crack. It will also risk further damage to circuits. If you can't get it to a phone shop, leave it in a warm place overnight and try to turn it on again tomorrow. Good luck.

Take the phone fully apart and leave it to dry. Don't leave it on a radiator that's poor advice. If the board is wet it will short when you go to plug it back in.

Cheers guy will follow advice and suggestions given.

Battery is out, case is off everything that need to be taken apart have done apart from the sim card.

Will leave it overnight to dry and see tomorrow if it comes on.

Really hope its not gone the phone as that be the last thing I need with few other problems that have occurred last few days.

If you've got home contents insurance it'll be covered for the accidental damage, although you'll obviously have an excess to pay which from what you've said isn't easy atm.

Easiest thing to do take battery off get a hair dryer on low and blow warm air through it will help dry it or put in rice.
As for putting it on a radiator nothing wrong with that at all I've put a few phones on a hand towel on top of radiator even on top of a tumble dryer all it will do is dry it out and won't damage screen either so it's not poor advice at all is the phone water proof or is it a really old model?

If you've got home contents insurance it'll be covered for the accidental damage, although you'll obviously have an excess to pay which from what you've said isn't easy atm.

Was thinking of claiming on the insurance but not sure if worth it with having to paying excess and not something able to do tbh mate atm.

Insurance for various thing has its pros and cons and in this regards in the latter.

Easiest thing to do take battery off get a hair dryer on low and blow warm air through it will help dry it or put in rice.
As for putting it on a radiator nothing wrong with that at all I've put a few phones on a hand towel on top of radiator even on top of a tumble dryer all it will do is dry it out and won't damage screen either so it's not poor advice at all is the phone water proof or is it a really old model?

No dont think its water proof mate. G4 is quite old tbh.

It's a bad idea all round mate imo. Also suggesting to occasionally turn it on is poor advice.

It’s water plus electricity that will cause more damage from here. Until the phone is fully dry you shouldn't turn it on at all. Hair dryer will force the water into areas it wasn't yet so I wouldn’t do that until the phone was fully a part once it's apart the hair dryer might help.

End of the day Heat damages components, circuits and adhesives. Best thing to do is pull the battery take the phone apart and leave to dry at room temperature. Then try again in 24-48 hours. Worse thing you can do is try turning it on or powering it on before it's fully dry.

It's a bad idea all round mate imo. Also suggesting to occasionally turn it on is poor advice.

It’s water plus electricity that will cause more damage from here. Until the phone is fully dry you shouldn't turn it on at all. Hair dryer will force the water into areas it wasn't yet so I wouldn’t do that.

End of the day Heat damages components, circuits and adhesives. Best thing to do is pull the battery take the phone apart and leave to dry at room temperature. Then try again in 24-48 hours. Worse thing you can do is try turning it on or powering it on before it's fully dry.

Think I already made it worst mate as when the tea split all over I had to get the extension off and turn that off straight away, didnt take the battery and phone apart quick enough and didnt dry it quick enough and honestly because of that even after a day or so leaving it to dry and checking it wont make much difference dont think.

It’s water plus electricity that will cause more damage from here. Until the phone is fully dry you shouldn't turn it on at all. Hair dryer will force the water into areas it wasn't yet so I wouldn’t do that until the phone was fully a part once it's apart the hair dryer might help.

You'd be well advised to heed this advice @channelking - just because something worked for one person doesn't make it the best idea. Let it dry naturally, you're without a phone for a bit longer but it vastly improves your chances of it recovering.

Think I already made it worst mate as when the tea split all over I had to get the extension off and turn that off straight away, didnt take the battery and phone apart quick enough and didnt dry it quick enough and honestly because of that even after a day or so leaving it to dry and checking it wont make much difference dont think.

Tea is much worse than straight forward water damage too unfortunately.

Havent tried it yet mate was going to leave it for another day and try late tomorrow.

Want to make sure its completely dried out and its at room temperature as well.

Will find out tomorrow whether its screwed.

Ah sound, I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Back