Windows 7 Linux Dorks

Stoke

Anyone on this forum a dedicated Linux dork like me?

I'm currently using Linux Mint at home (only because I fancied a change) and Ubuntu at work, although I have GNOME classic installed. Not remotely keen on Unity.....

Windows users still don't know what they're missing out on :grin:

I know linux is well good I'm rocking mint on my pc, xubuntu on my laptops Ubuntu mate on my daughters pcs, debian base is on my server, libreelec on my pi's and of course my zgemma sat box runs Linux too

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

I know linux is well good I'm rocking mint on my pc, xubuntu on my laptops Ubuntu mate on my daughters pcs, debian base is on my server, libreelec on my pi's and of course my zgemma sat box runs Linux too

Glad to know someone else is into the world of Term, Gnome, Deb's and all the rest of it :grin:

I'm a software engineer by day, so naturally Linux is kind of in my blood, but what amazes me, is how painful it is to go back to Windows nowadays. For a long time, I had a Windows machine and Linux machine at work, but then when I went on a dedicated Linux project I got rid of the Windows machine. Everything I can do on Windows, I can do 10x quicker on Linux and it gets well on my nerves when I have to deal with it. yuk :grin:

I agree, Linux does get in your way, and security it a must too

Having not used Windows for a long time, I forget if it's secure or not nowadays. I know Microsoft spent a long time getting it to the level where it was even competing with Mac and Linux for security.

That said, Linux is only as secure as the person who for example, writes the fstab to the distro you're using. I've just been working on fixing a failed project at work where the entire root directory is remounted r/w for all users to access and modify.

Naughty.

I'm finding that more and more if you build it yourself you learn how to fix and you know if your secure

I'm finding that more and more if you build it yourself you learn how to fix and you know if your secure

Absolutely true, although building and configuring linux isn't a 2 minute job as i'm sure you're aware. I think Ubuntu is pretty secure nowadays, and would imagine Mint is. By default Ubuntu is locked out of the root account but I am unaware of how the salt, hash, password etc is generated. I've never looked too deeply into it. Being careful with public-private key SSH when accessing server is always a useful trick.

I think just be able to have a os on a stick, boot off it, having a live session, doing your banking the closing down and unplugging is a really good security practice to be able to use

I think just be able to have a os on a stick, boot off it, having a live session, doing your banking the closing down and unplugging is a really good security practice to be able to use

Interesting, so you don't bank on your phone etc?

Did you hear they've given up on the Ubuntu phone?

I tried Ubuntu Touch on my Nexus 4. Wasn't bad.... bit on the slow side, very usable though.

There's been a few Ubuntu phones hasn't there? There was a crowd funded one a while ago that went tits up, then there was another one about 18 months ago.

Meizu make the Pro 5 Ubuntu Edition. Tempting tbh.

I think it's an impossible task to get into the mobile market, dominated by Android and Apple, even Windows can't get a foothold

I think it's an impossible task to get into the mobile market, dominated by Android and Apple, even Windows can't get a foothold

Oh it's an impossible task nowadays. Apple will always have it's fanboys, and well, Android has just carved itself a huge market, primarily because it's accessible to everyone.... no matter how much (or little money) you have, there's an Android phone for you.

It's a shame actually because..... good god, i'll have to whisper this, I think Windows Phone 8 is an excellent mobile OS for the majority of people. Not so much myself, but my girlfriend very much liked her Windows phone till she smashed it.... but it does always fall back to the apps problem....

Wash your mouth out!

Yeah it took some saying that did, but when you compare with Apple and Android.... it performs exceptionally on slower hardware and is actually nice to use (neither iOS or Android are that nice). The problem is, it's too far gone.

Back