Liverpool shop sells out of beach balls

Mooley

TK Veteran
Mischievous fans of rival teams have flocked to Liverpool's official online store to buy the club out of beach balls.

The Reds lost 1-0 to Sunderland on Saturday courtesy of a Darren Bent strike that deflected in off a large red ball that had been thrown into the penalty box by a Liverpool supporter.

Opposition fans revelling in Rafa Benitez's side's misery have bought all remaining 'beach sets' from the online shop, which consist of a towel, a bag and the now-infamous beach ball.

The sets had been reduced from £20 to £10 and have now sold out. They will be a must-have item for travelling supporters visiting Anfield in coming weeks.

Several web users have also left spoof reviews on the site.

'Natalie from Manchester' wrote: "I bought this set, but seem to have lost the ball in Sunderland. Is it possible to order a replacement?" while 'G from Johnon' commented: "This is one of the most flexible products I have ever purchased. Great for not only the beach, but can also play up front."

Liverpool fans are unlikely to see the funny side; the defeat was their fourth of the season, and leaves them seven points off the top of the Premier League.

Referee Mike Jones allowed the goal, although the laws state play should be stopped if any 'outside agent' interferes, and restarted with a drop ball.

Bent's shot bounced into the ball and deviated into the bottom-right corner past goalkeeper Jose Reina, who was so badly distracted he moved to save the beach ball.

Sky Sports News broadcast footage on Saturday of a young fan batting the ball into Reina's penalty box from the away end, but Match of the Day and the Sunday newspapers blocked out the fan's face fearing reprisals for his blunder.

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce said he did know the goal should not have stood, saying: "If anybody knew that rule - that it is supposed to be a drop ball - then you are a saddo."

However, former Premier League referee Jeff Winter said he was shocked Jones did not disallow the goal.

Winter said: "I'm absolutely amazed. It is basic law in football. The goal should just not have stood. The laws of the game state that if there's an outside interference the game has to be stopped."

Alex Chick / Eurosport

I`m keeping my beach ball in my sig for now lol

Watch out for the beach balls next week when Man Utd play at Anfield :whistling:

Last edited:
I wonder did these two guys buy them all up

opxudg.gif

2njg5tl.gif

Back