LNB Advice

skirmish

We inherited a dish when we moved house last year and have had a Skybox working pretty well since the end of last year.

I've been tweaking the direction the dish faces this evening as some of the channels have had poor reception. It's generally made an improvemenst but I'm now noticing that the Signal Quality is quite variable with the figure moving up and down and not stable.

I looked at the LNB and there seemed to be some fluff around the two connections. Not sure what it was but I removed it. Also thought the cover wasn't very effective and I'm sure moisture could get into the connectors.

There were two connections into the LNB. Should just one of those cables be connected to my Skybox? Are there two cables so that another box can be connected?

On the back of the Skybox there are two sockets. One says 'Loop' on it. What is this for?

Can LNB's deteriorate with age and if so is it worth replacing with a new one? If so, do I just need a 'Single LNB' for my set up with just one Skybox?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm still very much learning about satellite systems.

I would recut and refix both ends of the 2 cables as a first check. The twin cable was probably left by someone using sky+hd which takes two feeds. You only need 1 but having both working could come in handy to swap/compare signal.
The connection on the box you want to use is Lnb. Not loop. It is for a pass through signal when skybox is off and you just ignore it with ur setup. There is a smartphone app called satfinder thats great for help with dish setup. Quad (4way) lnbs are best value at about £12 delivered. If you give a list of channels you can not get at all it may help diagnose other problems.

I would recut and refix both ends of the 2 cables as a first check. The twin cable was probably left by someone using sky+hd which takes two feeds. You only need 1 but having both working could come in handy to swap/compare signal.
The connection on the box you want to use is Lnb. Not loop. It is for a pass through signal when skybox is off and you just ignore it with ur setup. There is a smartphone app called satfinder thats great for help with dish setup. Quad (4way) lnbs are best value at about £12 delivered. If you give a list of channels you can not get at all it may help diagnose other problems.
I have same. As well u only need one wired will work also check satellite list click astra 28.2 with green show tick ok. Then scan it ok

One specific set of channels I cant receive are the Discovery group. Also Sky 1, Living, Atlantic, Gold an many others. Gold isjust about there with a 90% strength but thequality is low at about 20%. The Discovery channels give 45% strength and just 10% quality.

I've been up to the dish again and checked the connections and they look fine.

Do small dish alignement changes make a big difference? Would I be better off using a signal meter? Maybe even a new dish and LNB?

Now got the app.

For a start should I be on Astra 1N/2A/2 at 28B - 28.2 Degree E

For that sat it says
Azimuth 144.4 degrees
Elevation 23.0 degrees
LNB tilt -20.2 degrees

Not sure how accurate the compass on the app is. I have a proper compass that I can use which I know is accurate.

Astra 2e I thinl
28.2 e
Sorry I should know this odf top of head but in work so cant check

Last edited:
Back