LNB Replacement Advice for Freesat

blinky3i

Lokking for a bit gudiance here if anybody can help

Had SkyQ fitted in 2021, ultimately we cancelled as they failed to offer the promised brodband speeds. I have a Samsung TV with built in freesat tuner but this does not work without buying an expensive Freesat box. I understand i need to change the Lnb on the SkyQ dish to a hybrid Lnb to make this work? Planning on ditching virgin at the end of the month and need a relaible backup for my iptv
Can anybody advise what is entailed in swapping over the Lnb, is it a difficult Job, any tips? its not too high on my house and i have a suitable ladder to get to the dish
I have seen some hybrid lnbs for sale on ebay, but which one would be suitable? i only need it to connect to the single Tv and nowhere else in the house.
Thanks in advance

I'm going to be really dumb now, why do you need an 'expensive freesat box' if your TV has a built in freesat tuner?

Skyq Lnb is wideband i understand and this only works with a limited number of expensive £150+ freesat boxes on the market and certainly doesnt work with my freesat on my TV or a plethora of cheap freesat boxes i could opt for. This is at least my undertanding from my research

You would only need a hybrid lnb if you wanted to continue with sky q. If you are positive that you only want freesat on tv then you only need a single lnb. Its dirt cheap and you only need to undo 2 screws, remove old lnb and keep it as its expensive, but that q lnb will have 2 cables so if I was you I would get a quad lnb as you will find uisng freesat on a tv is a PITB.

This is what you need

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GeoSync-Un...Z2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1&smid=A104E3TJC5XP4S

yes same cables. Just had a though have a look at lnb you have and count the outputs. report back

I'm going to be really dumb now, why do you need an 'expensive freesat box' if your TV has a built in freesat tuner?
Freesat aren't soft. They know many customers cancelling Sky will be stuck with wideband LNB's so brought out their own range of overpriced compatible boxes.

What TV do you have? If it's anything like my LG C9 OLED then the Freesat tuner should have settings for both universal and unicable LNB's.

With a unicable LNB you'll get a similar experience to the Sky Q LNB you're replacing and should be able to record upto 4 programmes at the same time from a single tuner instead of just the current channel, as would likely be the case with a universal LNB.

Last edited:
Waste of money buying a tv for freesat as not found what i was looking for and went back to box where everything was.

I had a good look at those 2 pics and very neat indeed but I hope there is some spare cable as those inputs to the lnb look very secure and I don't think they pull out easy.

@Kurdt Kobain its a 2017

Samsung UE55MU6400 HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55" with TVPlus/Freesat HD & Active Crystal Colour, Ultra HD Certified​

so i guess the user interface will be a bit shonky, might look into a seperate reciever as suggested

Back