mag 250's will still not connect to server after using firmware to fix Infomir block

skyman

Hi,

We were having a problem with the copyright block from Infomir stopping our mags connecting to iptv server portal.

We loaded some downgrade firmware to fix this and then models 256 and 322 that we use work ok and can connect.

However the mag250's still could not connect.

So we tried all the different firmwares we could find but we still cannot get the mag 250's to work.

It gets to the loading portal stage and then it just reboots and "loading from nand" again and continues in this rebooting loop.

We have tried this with over 10 different mag 250's and from different routers and networks but the problem is always the same.

I just wondered if anyone else has come across this issue or has any suggestions that we can try to fix this.

Up to now we have tried official firmwares
0.2.18-r12
0.2.18-r14
0.2.18-r17
0.2.18-r18
0.2.18-r19
0.2.18-r22

and also the firmware from Nepose here https://firmware.magboxes.xyz/ and also the firmware NoBlock from Thr0wawayicus.

We set the boxes back to default settings before loading the firmwares and saved and rebooted.
We used a working usb stick and all firmwares loaded correctly and the images were showing in the device info.

I know these firmwares have worked for other mag 250 users so we must be doing something wrong.

Any help greatly appreciated....

Hi, the first thing I've thought about, maybe stupid but important, is - does your provider support MAG 250 STBs and which versions of firmware is support provided for? When looking through your description it seems that the bug exists on the middleware side, because of some bizarre reason it denies connection.

Do you have SSH access on one of those firmwares? If yes, try command:
Code:
/usr/share/qt-4.6.0/stbapp -qws -display directfb "here put URL to your portal"
It will do direct connection with omiting GUI interface modal.

And the second thing - how do you apply firmwares on STB? I mean by which method (USB, DHCP or what).

Hi Nepose,

Thanks for the reply...

Yes the provider supports mag 250 - they were all working ok before Infomir copyright block.
I think they support all versions - at least they did before the Infomir copyright problem.
The downgrade firmwares I tried at first were from the same source and the 256 and 322 worked straight away.

I have never used SSH before but I just downloaded Putty and can connect to the mag 250.
I typed in what you said and it gave the following...

STBplayer - console-based player using STBengine
Segmentation fault

I have been applying the firmwares with USB using the following procedure...

Enter boot menu
Set default settings
Exit and save
Reboot again and enter boot menu again
Check image = Factory Image
Upgrade tools > Use upgrade - yes
Upgrade tools > USB Bootstrap - insert USB flash-drive and press OK
Bootstrap loads
Image file loads and reboot
Enter boot menu
Check image = new image
Set to boot from nand
Exit and save
Reboot

If I have only one portal in the box it continually reboots when it reaches the load portal stage
I have now put in 2 portals...
Portal 1 = the previously blocked portal
Portal 2 = portal that was not previously blocked

If I choose Portal 1 it will just reboot and go back to the "select a portal for loading" menu
If I choose portal 2 it will load that portal ok

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong or missing out something when I flash the firmware.

If you would be able to spare the time I could set up your mag 250 mac address on the provider server and see if it loads for you.

Hi Nepose,

Thanks for the reply...

Yes the provider supports mag 250 - they were all working ok before Infomir copyright block.
I think they support all versions - at least they did before the Infomir copyright problem.
The downgrade firmwares I tried at first were from the same source and the 256 and 322 worked straight away.

I have never used SSH before but I just downloaded Putty and can connect to the mag 250.
I typed in what you said and it gave the following...

STBplayer - console-based player using STBengine
Segmentation fault

I have been applying the firmwares with USB using the following procedure...

Enter boot menu
Set default settings
Exit and save
Reboot again and enter boot menu again
Check image = Factory Image
Upgrade tools > Use upgrade - yes
Upgrade tools > USB Bootstrap - insert USB flash-drive and press OK
Bootstrap loads
Image file loads and reboot
Enter boot menu
Check image = new image
Set to boot from nand
Exit and save
Reboot

If I have only one portal in the box it continually reboots when it reaches the load portal stage
I have now put in 2 portals...
Portal 1 = the previously blocked portal
Portal 2 = portal that was not previously blocked

If I choose Portal 1 it will just reboot and go back to the "select a portal for loading" menu
If I choose portal 2 it will load that portal ok

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong or missing out something when I flash the firmware.

If you would be able to spare the time I could set up your mag 250 mac address on the provider server and see if it loads for you.

Hi! Try please exactly the same procedure, but without changing bank to NAND, let me explain why.
Every STB consists of two NAND banks (these are separate partitions on device memory for two firmwares). When you are at NAND1 mode (NAND) and you flash another image, it will be flashed to NAND2 bank. The image is always flashed to the opposite bank, which is intended to be a secure method in case STB faults to boot. When you change bank back to NAND, your STB uses the same image as before, without modification.

Hi Nepose,
We have tried both nand and nand2.
After we load the image we then look in the device info and this then confirms the new image is the one that has loaded correctly.
I have a friend with exactly the same problem.
We have tried for days to get this to work but no luck.
Have you actually tested the firmware on a mag 250 and managed to connect to a blocked site?
Please can you try to connect to our portal address and see if it works for you?
Just pm me the mac address and I will add you to the server.

Back