Mag 256 HD very skippy/jumpy

Hi all.

I’ve been using a mag 256 for 8/9 months and it’s been fine, needs the occasional reboot but I can handle that.

Recently (last couple of weeks) all HD Channels have been unwatchable. Within 10 mins of watching it goes very jumpy and skippy and even if I leave for 10 mins never sorts itself out.

The SD version of whatever channel I’m watching works well (although pic quality is dire)

It seems like the box can’t stream the HD content but in the past it has worked fine.

As I don’t fully understand this whole set up I’ll tell you how it’s set up.

1. Running through a Spider VPN.
2. Speed test showing 300kbps.
3. I did change the buffer time to 2 seconds (from 0) to see if this would help but didn’t make any difference so put it back to 0.
4. No other settings changes made from out of the box (I’m 99% sure).
5. I know others who use the same service and they have reported no problems which is why I think it’s an issue at my end.
6. Problem happens on all types of channels (terrestrial, sports, USA sports)

The only thing I can think to do is do a full reset of the box and re set up my portal - is this likely to fix issue?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheets

Mike

Hi MIke.. If i´m thinking correctly 300kbps is about 2,4 Mbps.. hat seems ok for SD but not for HD.. i recommend to my clients to have at least 12/15 Mbps for HD..

Did your provider change anything? i´d ask my provider/reseller if anything changed.

Have you tried without a VPN .. usually you´ll lose some speed by using the vpn connection.. a short trial without to see what happens?

Other things to try would be increasing the buffer above the 2 seconds that you´ve tried.. 6 10 ?

If nothing works you could do a factory reset and install the system again.. if it doesn´t change anything then the problem has to be somewhere else.. then i´d start looking at my vpn connection / router etc..

Sorry can´t think of anything else.

Thanks for that. I’ll try doing an actual speed test from the browser through the Vpn and try without Vpn aswell.

I’ll report back

Mike

Out of interest. I was lead to believe the spider Vpn doesn’t need any set up out of the box.

Has anyone any experience of these with a mag box?

Does it need any setting up?

Cheers

Mike

Quick update....my Vpn was routing through Spain. I’ve changed it France and speed test says around 4/5Mbits.

HD seems to be better but it’s now doing the black screen lock up, remote unresponsive and needs power reset.

Power supply?
Overheating?
HDMI issue?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Try your box not connected to vpn at all only really need vpn for sporting events your vpn router killing your speeds can you run a speed test on the mag box with vpn connected and one whilst it's not connected

Hi

I did this last night. Was 5/6Mbits without Vpn and 4/5 with Vpn.

Do you think this has anything to do with it freezing or the HD issue I have had recently

Thanks in advance
Try your box not connected to vpn at all only really need vpn for sporting events your vpn router killing your speeds can you run a speed test on the mag box with vpn connected and one whilst it's not connected

Hi

I did this last night. Was 5/6Mbits without Vpn and 4/5 with Vpn.

Do you think this has anything to do with it freezing or the HD issue I have had recently

Thanks in advance
In all honesty your speeds arnt all that good for iptv you would be better with fibre broadband then you probably wouldn't have this problem have you tried a testline to see if if it is actually your Internet speeds

Ok. I’ve done some investigating.

I’m getting 150Mbps on laptop from virgin.

When I connect through VPN I’m at around 40. (Pretty crappy I know)

However, when connected to Mag box (still on virgin)

Embedded portal shows connected at 15Mbps
BUT....
The ‘portal...?’ That my tv comes through on shows 3 maybe 4 Mbps.

When I connect via vpn it still shows around 12mbps on embedded portal and 3ish on the ‘tv portal’

Sorry if I’m using the wrong terms but I’m out of my comfort zone with this.

I don’t know what speeds to believe.

I’ve checked update on embedded portal and it’s up to date. Don’t know how to update the tv portal bit.

Thanks for your help everyone and sorry if I’m being a numpty or using the wrong terms.

Any questions just ask.

Cheers

Mike

You want a minimum of 8megabit to get HD
Thanks.

I guess my first question is......

How do I know if the speed test from the embedded portal or tv portal part is correct....?

It has worked fine (HD no problems at all) through the VPN for a couple of months, it’s only recently it’s started going wonky. It happened around the same time I got the black screen freezing issues. Box is 9 months Ish old and the VPN is 2 or 3 months old (I got VPN cos football/PPV and US sports stopped working.....

As I said earlier I’m a learner at this, I wanted as close to plug and play everything that I could get so it’s only now I’m actually looking at settings and speed etc.

Try a VPN server from the UK ? I used to get all sorts of problems when I used one from europe. Just change servers if possible, if you can with your VPN

Back