Make Your Own Fake Test Virus with Notepad

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want to preface this by reassuring everybody that this is not an actual virus.

It is designed to test your security setup to see if it's actually doing what it's supposed to.

I've tested this on a system using "Microsoft Security Essentials" and it immediately detected & offered to remove my test virus.

image326807871.png

image346875352.png

I would be interested to see if users of different security programs find that it is also detected immediately?

The Test:

Here's all you need to do,

Right click on your Desktop and choose "New>Text Document"

Paste the following line into the new document & save the document.

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Your security setup should immediately detect it as a virus :p

Also useful as a little prank to pull on your friends :cheesy grin:

Your hacker points will be posted to your WoW account :whistling: lol

-

still doing a whole comp scan and nothing showed up so far with AVG prof> But the MSE cleaned my pc - so i saved it again and again it came up with MSE.

added 10.30pm
AVG picked up a few things but not sure if it was one of them as it auto heals

Last edited:
avg picked it up when i scanned
good one g, can feel a bit of mischief coming on with this :whistling:

i have avast free also and it did,nt pick it up, but i right clicked the file and scanned with avast and it came up as a virus

Panda did'nt pick it up when saved. Did a scan on the txt file and panda says this :

Eicar.Mod is a modified version of the test file Eicar. The test file Eicar is not a real virus, but a program for MS-DOS that is used to check the effectiveness and quality of antivirus programs and tools for detecting viruses. Panda Antivirus detects this test file as EICAR-AV-TEST-FILE.

The test file Eicar was created by the Eicar international organization, and it was updated on May 1, 2003 in order to guarantee a better effectiveness.

Being Eicar.Mod a modified version of the real test file Eicar, it coud contain some viral code.

Eicar.Mod is a modified version of the test file Eicar.

That above statement is correct ditto, it is in fact a modified version & you can rest assured that it contains nothing malicious.

It's sole purpose is to test that your security setup is awake and protecting. (y)

-

thats a good way to test whether your antivirus software is working propely, safe as well

will test when i get home, excited to see the result LOL

Back