Master Socket

Devman21

Hi All,

I‘be upgraded my sky broadband and been sent a new router.

went to set Up the new router exactly where the old one is, to find it isn’t picking up an internet signal.

Sky have said it needs to be plugged into the master socket which helpfully is nowhere near a plug socket.

is there a way I can wirelessly move this or an adapter I can get to change the other socket into a master socket?

thanks In advance

If there is a spare pair of wires from the master socket to the extension you can swap the main and extension sockets.
The cable between them is usually 6 or 8 wire and only 3 are actually used.

If so connect the incoming line directly to the spare pair of wires and then connect the main socket to them at the extension end.
Then just connect the other 3 wires between main and extension.
Should be 2 and 5 for the line and 3 for the bell wire if memory serves.

If there is a spare pair of wires from the master socket to the extension you can swap the main and extension sockets.
The cable between them is usually 6 or 8 wire and only 3 are actually used.

If so connect the incoming line directly to the spare pair of wires and then connect the main socket to them at the extension end.
Then just connect the other 3 wires between main and extension.
Should be 2 and 5 for the line and 3 for the bell wire if memory serves.
I don't even think thet advise the use of the bell wire anymore.

Maybe something changed then :unsure: I haven't been a BT engineer since 2005.
Back then the extension wouldn't ring if no bell wire connected.

Maybe something changed then :unsure: I haven't been a BT engineer since 2005.
Back then the extension wouldn't ring if no bell wire connected.
i don't think it is needed now on modern phones (just found this info )
Nowadays, only 2 and 5 are connected as all modern phones have an electronic bell circuit which does not need a bell wire

I know I only have 2 wire2 connected on my cat 5 extension

So they made it even easier! I'm glad I left when I did.
It was the death of an interesting, skilled job when they brought out line jack units, NTE5's and throwaway phones.

Have you been given your new activation date although if you plugged the new router in it should sync up and use your old speeds till new date.
What type of Master socket do you have is it one with the modem socket or you using micro filters

Have you been given your new activation date although if you plugged the new router in it should sync up and use your old speeds till new date.
What type of Master socket do you have is it one with the modem socket or you using micro filters
Activation date was last week. Seems to work on the old router which is plugged into another socket in the house.

tried plugging new router in and didn’t get an internet signal.

thanks all for your replies

Activation date was last week. Seems to work on the old router which is plugged into another socket in the house.

tried plugging new router in and didn’t get an internet signal.

thanks all for your replies
Have you tried new router in the old socket

No reason for a router not to work on an extension regardless of what your isp will tell you. It's just to make their life easier.

You should be aware that tampering with a master socket and then having an Openreach engineer out will incur a cost and maybe a fine as the wiring that terminates behind the socket belongs to the Openreach network. Any wiring on the faceplate for an extension is your responsibility and would also incur a charge by an engineer as it's not their network they're dealing with.

As for wiring, correct terminals are 2 and 5 the 3rd orange bell wire is no longer used as it's known for carrying interference for ADSL/VDSL connections. Rather than tampering with that, I would try a longer DSL cable from the master socket to the router but there is a limit to how long that cable should be - ideally you'd want the router in the same room or not much further.
It's very strange your new Sky router isn't connecting? Have you asked for a new one to be sent? You may be better off with a 3rd party router as they offer more features and are generally better than most ISP provided ones.

Back