mercedes spriner 2005

pizzaman

hi all

i have a merc sprinter 2005 luton box. some less fortunate b****** decided he wanted to rob it. my neighbour knocked my door telling me the door was open. i looked at the driver door and i couldn't get my key in the barrel as it was broken. there was a broken key/ screwdriver in the ignition barrel. i tried to remove the object in the ignition but to no avail. until i could get a mechanic i pulled the fuel and ignition fuses ( 2 x 15amp blades)
i got a mechanic out and he told me it need a new ignition case, barrel, sheer bolts etc. i went to the main dealer and £210 lighter i got a reputable mobile mechanic/ locksmith to come out. he charge £150 to take the old ignition case off and put the new one on. he said he downloaded the key information from the old key and then put it on the new key.

we replaced the fuses andthe van started and for about 10 minutes there was a little misfire. this wasn't there before. i paid the dude and he left. i went to move the van to a more secure place which meant moving the van from the front of my house to garages at the rear of my house. total distance about 10 metres. as i was reversing it in it died. it starts for 2 seconds and it turns off. no matter how many times i do it this is all it does. starts, 2 seconds, dies. i got the mechanic back out and told him the van was fine before the attempted theft. he spent 3 hours on it and checked all his wiring, ignition etc. he has drawn a blank.

the battery has now drained as we have tried to start it so many times.

i have been told there is no aftermarket alarm/ immobiliser on it and also that this could be something really simple that has just been overlooked.

can anyone please shed some light on this for me as i am stuck. the van has blocked the path to the garages but is parked behind iron gates now. the only trouble being this place is communal garages and at some point the neighbours are gonna ask me to move the van.

any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers
:nolisten::nolisten::nolisten:

I reckon the old key info downloaded to new key is not correct..as you said it was working fine before..!!and the barrel wiring will probably be like for like..!! No expert but cant see any other reason..

I thought that. Problem is the mechanic who programmed the key says that if this was a key code issue then the speedo would read "start error"as this is what happens with the wrong key. Still no joy as yet but if there are any other ideas please let me know

Thanks

There must be a factory fitted immobiliser that works via the key in the ignition barrel...so it is partly working as its allowing the van to start..but something is switching off say the fuel relay side of immobiliser thus causing it to cut out..if you can get to your fuel pump connections with a multimeter and get some one to start the van, with your probes on the live and a good earth with the other...you should get 12 volts dc... when it cuts out you will still have either 12 volts dc as your key is still in the ON position or it will be 0 volts...and that will tell you if its the fuel pump that is losing its supply and as the only thing that was changed was barrel/key/re-programming..it CANT be anything else bro....(I only know this as my 1992 16v clio had a starting fault when it would start and then cut out.. i bypassed my immobiliser so it was not that and then thought fuel pump and found my wire was intermittently going open circuit between the fuel pump(under the rear pass seat..nice one renault..!!) and the fuel relay..ran a new wire(as a senior lift engineer i know my way round a wiring loom or two and relays..!! haha) just one way to help eliminate your cause..

Ted

Last edited:
Back