Microsoft Security Essentials loses AV-Test certificate

ferguj1

Super Duper Modulator
Staff member
Every two months, AV-Test takes a look at popular antivirus software and security suites and tests them in several ways. In their latest test which was performed on Windows 7 during September and October, Microsoft Security Essentials didn't pass the test to achieve certification. Although that may not sound that impressive, Microsoft's program was the only one which didn't receive AV-Test's certificate. For comparison, the other free antivirus software, including Avast, AVG and Panda Cloud did.

There are three categories where the programs receive points: protection, repair and usability. When added all up, the software needs to have at least 11 out of 18 points to pass the test. Security Essentials only got 10,5 points, which brings up the question: What's the cause?

It seems that Security Essentials failed to recognize enough zero-day threats with detection rates of only 69% in September and 64% in October, where the average is 89%. The rest of the scores remain largely unchanged when compared to the previous test. It's only honest to mention though that most of the programs tested scored lower than in May and June.

Bitdefender Internet Security is the winner with 17 out of 18 points. F-Secure Internet Security and Kaspersky Internet Security came in second and third respectively with 15,5 and 15,0 points. Out of the free programs, ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall got the highest score with 14,5 points. In the similar test for business protection software, Microsoft Forefront Endpoint only gathered 9,5 points.

Source: PCMag

Still going to use it for two reasons, It's free and it's extremely light on resources. If you are streetwise enough you can run your system without any protection & get away with it, so a little common sense along with MSE & Malwarebytes and you should be grand.

Speaking of security? Anyone try this yet?

Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit BETA

Code:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/

So we should not panic if we have Security Essentials on our machine - is it worth having a backup Antivirus protection then?

So we should not panic if we have Security Essentials on our machine - is it worth having a backup Antivirus protection then?

Let's be very clear here JV, never ever install more than one Antivirus solution at a time on your system, more than one causes conflicts and totally defeats the intended purpose. Don't confuse Antimalware protection with Antivirus protection either, they are two different animals.

As for MSE? I wouldn't panic at all to be honest, that of course is my personal opinion, I'm not God & I don't clim to know everything but I do know that there is way too much scaremongering going on it the PC security sector, why? because it's a massive money spinner & free options threaten revenue for these big rip off organisations such as Symantec.

None of them can guarantee 100% protection, none of them! I'm a firm believer that common sense along with some type of protection is all one needs ;)

Still going to use it for two reasons, It's free and it's extremely light on resources. If you are streetwise enough you can run your system without any protection & get away with it, so a little common sense along with MSE & Malwarebytes and you should be grand.

Speaking of security? Anyone try this yet?

Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit BETA

Code:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/

Have not tried that yet, but I will look in to it. I have been using malware bytes anti-malware in combination with Comodo Cleaning Essentials and still using MSE as well.
Code:
http://www.comodo.com/business-security/network-protection/cleaning_essentials.php

Let's be very clear here JV, never ever install more than one Antivirus solution at a time on your system, more than one causes conflicts and totally defeats the intended purpose. Don't confuse Antimalware protection with Antivirus protection either, they are two different animals.

As for MSE? I wouldn't panic at all to be honest, that of course is my personal opinion, I'm not God & I don't clim to know everything but I do know that there is way too much scaremongering going on it the PC security sector, why? because it's a massive money spinner & free options threaten revenue for these big rip off organisations such as Symantec.

None of them can guarantee 100% protection, none of them! I'm a firm believer that common sense along with some type of protection is all one needs ;)

I could not agree more.

Back