Microsoft Word: Causes $290m Fine Due to Patent Infringement

hadmad

VIP Member
microsoft-word-causes-290m-fine-due-to-patent-infringement.jpg

Posted: 22 Dec 2009 01:38 PM PST

Microsoft Word: Causes $290m Fine Due to Patent Infringement

Microsoft’s popular word processor ‘Microsoft Word’ has recently caused the company to pay $290m in damages due to patent infringement, the company on the receiving end of the payment is a small firm called i4i.

From what we can see a recent ruling by the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, has also resulted in Microsoft not being able to sell any version of Word 2003 and Word 2007 from January 11th 2010.

The chairman of i4i described the ruling as “a war cry for talented inventors whose patents are infringed” and also added “The same guts and integrity that are needed to invent and go against the herd, are at the heart of success in patent litigation against a behemoth like Microsoft,” he said.

It is thought that Microsoft will remove the particular infringing feature from the product before January 11th, therefore allowing them to begin selling Word 2003 and 2007 again.

For extremely detailed information regarding the matter check out TimesOnline’s detailed article.Microsoft to pay $290m damages for patent infringement - Times Online

Back