Might be of use to someone

mike123

VIP Member
TK Supporter
I could not get about 50% of 4k movies to play on my plex sub even though I knew I had the correct hardware. So here are the settings I used now all 4k works.

1. Home and remote streaming set to max
2. Make sure adjust automatically is off
3. Refresh rate switching on
4 resolution switching on

Now you will need very fast speeds anything from 56meg to 108 Meg depending on the film. Most were around 86 Meg req

Last edited:
I could not get about 50% of 4k movies to play on my plex sub even though I knew I had the correct hardware. So here are the settings I used now all 4k works.

1. Home and remote streaming set to max
2. Make sure adjust automatically is off
3. Refresh rate switching on
4 resolution switching on

Now you will need very fast speeds anything from 56meg to 108 Meg depending on the film. Most were around 86 Meg req

Depending on your setup you may have have disabled Video Stream Transcoding. Which would backup your recent settings changes that fixed the issue. As when you disable Video Stream Transcoding you can only direct play the files in their initial state.

If you don’t own the server than the person sharing with you may have disabled 4K transcoding as it prevents heavy workload for the server. I’ve seen Plex users regularly transcode 4K files to SD lol.

FFC862DC-A430-41B1-A15C-3B1D7582AA2A.jpeg

If that wasn’t disabled your end or the person sharing with you end some people use Killstream to prevent 4K transcoding.

JBOPS/killstream at master · blacktwin/JBOPS

Example

Kill transcodes​

Triggers:

• Playback Start
  • Transcode Decision Change
Conditions: [ Transcode Decision | is | transcode ]

Arguments:

--jbop stream --username {username} --sessionId {session_id} — 4K transcode not allowed.

Last edited:
Depending on your setup you may have have disabled Video Stream Transcoding. Which would backup your recent settings changes that fixed the issue. As when you disable Video Stream Transcoding you can only direct play the files in their initial state.

If you don’t own the server than the person sharing with you may have disabled 4K transcoding as it prevents heavy workload for the server. I’ve seen Plex users regularly transcode 4K files to SD lol.

View attachment 66532
Probably correct i could tell it to convert automatically like you say it kept bringing the quality down to sd.

Back