Mixing RAM

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone know if you can mix different RAM modules?

I've just bought and installed 3 x Crucial Ballistix 4gb Sport DDR3 - 1600Mhz (PC3 - 12800) 1.5v with no problem on my Alienware Aurora (Late 2009) PC that has 6 slots. The original RAM I had were 3 x Corsair Dominator 2gb DDR3 - 1600Mhz (PC3 - 12800) 1.6v

It would be good if I could use all 6 RAM modules but I don't fancy messing up my system in the process.

Any advice is welcome :)

What's the worst that could happen?

They are all the same speed. The voltage is negligable. I'm sure the new Crucial could handle the 0.1 overvolt.
The worst thing to happen to me with memory mix-ups is the board refuses to POST and gives you some beeps. Get a stable system with the new stuff first then introduce your old sticks.

To test how reliable it's going to be, put MemTest86 on a bootable USB and run a few hours of tests.
I wouldn't even bother with that if you can run Windows fine for a few hours without any BSoDs

PS Hi from the newbie, who is getting back into 'non-vanilla' TV watching (about 10 years ago i had [still have kicking around] a Topfield box!!)

should be fine mate the worst that can happen is you run at the slower speed also i hope you're running a 64 bit OS as most 32 bit OS's can't access more than 4gb of RAM so anymore is useless

Back