Mot queries

Hi there, starting this thread for anyone who might have any question on what will pass or won't pass an MOT.
I am an MOT tester and can hopefully clear up any issues people have.

A couple of common misconceptions are that a car fails it's MOT for tinted windows. It should not. Yes the police can pull you for them, but MOT law states it is not a reason for rejection.
Another one is HID headlights. If you fit a HID kit to your car, so long as they line up on the headlamp aligner, the car will pass the MOT. The only reason they will fail is if they are of incorrect colour, or not aligned correctly.
You can also have any colour number plate lights you wish.

Like i say just a couple, but there's so many things that 'old school' MOT testers fail, when really they shouldn't.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/NCT/the irish nct differ as we do lol,

National Car Test (NCT) Manual 2014 (PDF).

over here if car has HID lights fitted it needs the headlamp washers to work also,4 weeks ago we had a citroen c5 in and failed bumper on left side was 2 inches under headlamp as it had impact and broke the pump,900euro plus estimate lol.

Last edited:
And the catalytic converter doesnt have to work for you decat lovers. Aslong as what looks like a cat is there MOT is fine. Think i paid about £75 inc labour for mine ;)

Also does anyone know the ruling on dash warning lights as ive heard different from different people? had warning lights on my old car but went through MOT in two different test stations. Is it just down to the tester on the day?

And the catalytic converter doesnt have to work for you decat lovers. Aslong as what looks like a cat is there MOT is fine. Think i paid about £75 inc labour for mine ;)

Also does anyone know the ruling on dash warning lights as ive heard different from different people? had warning lights on my old car but went through MOT in two different test stations. Is it just down to the tester on the day?

This is true, so long as it looks like there is a cat there it can't be failed. BUT! It will 100% fail the emission test without the cat.
Rules for warning lights..
Engine light - Pass and advice
ABS light - Has to illuminate and go out.
Airbag light - Fail if it's on, but if you take the bulb out its pass and advise.
Steering light - Fail
Traction control - Fail.

i know if the engine management warning light is on thats a fail,
not sure about service stop light or any others

Back