Motherboard help please - should I return MSI MB?

Session9

VIP Member
Hey hey all,
I posted a little while ago about my brother buying a computer off eBay, and asked for advice on behalf of him.

He bought this one off eBay:

AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8GHz Dual-Core
Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P M/board
4Gb DDR2 PC-6400 240-pin 800MHz
Nvidia 9500GT 1G Video Card
320GB SATA2 Hard Drive
22x Dual Layer DVD Super All Write Drive
Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Now...the one they sent him has a different motherboard in it.
It's an MSI K9N6PGM2-V.
The company sent us an email back and told us that the two board were basically identical.

Could somebody please tell me what differences there are in the two, and if I should be sending this MSI one back for my bro?

I've had a look on Newegg and there are slight differences, but I'm not sure which board is better, I'm good, but I'm not that good at tech stuff. The one thing I did notice was the Gigabyte board could handle up to 8GB RAM, the MSI only 4GB.

Here's a few links for you:

Gigabyte board:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2P AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-M61PME-S2P (rev. 1.0)

MSI board:
Newegg.com - MSI K9N6PGM2-V AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
MSI Global ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
The price after a quick look round seems similar although personally if it was me I would send it back and demand the one actually paid for especially when the Gigabyte board could handle up to 8GB RAM and the MSI only 4GB, not only that, when you buy something you would expect them to send exactly what you paid for.

Has he left feedback yet?

He got it on my account, so nah I haven't left feedback yet.

I saw that too, the Gigabyte board is a few dollars dearer pretty much.

I think I will be sending it back then. Little buggers try telling me they're the same board, just different manufacturers!

I appreciate your reply HiTeck :) thanks

You have been robbed of the ability to upgrade to 8gb Ram instead of a max of 4 as you know, not only that he should of informed you before sending it out. If he doesn't give you a replacement as to what you paid for OR a full refund post a thread here regarding the sellers username in the title, include ebay and say it how it is here, it will show on google within 20 mins and remain there and towards the top for some time ;).

You could then send him a link here lol.

seems to be some confliction in the web-sites session concerning the two msi boards,max memory on the newegg site is reading as 4 gig, msi global is reading as 8 gig so am not quite sure.
I have found quite a few times that there is normally small print on E-bay which allows for the swapping out of an equal value/calibre part as specified in the components of the computer due to products on hand.
if it is for a gaming computer it should not matter too much one way or the other unless he is running a 64 bit version of windows.(and knowing E-bay, he was sold the 32 bit preloaded)
the reason being that the standard version of windows is 32 bit (x86) and can only recognise 3.25 gig of memory anyway.
where as the 64 bit version can recognise and utilise the extra ram.
hope that helps somewhat.

Thanks guys.

I think I will be sending it back today.
Even if the MSI does handle up to 8GB, it's pissed me off that I didn't get what I bought.
HiTeck if the company does have any problem with it I'll be doing exactly what you said!

Knotaclu it is the 64-bit that he got with it, sorry! I still get confused matching up the 64 and 32 bit with the x86 and the other x. :S

As far as I was aware the most ram any version of windows out there can run is up to 4 gig with Windows 7? After that is not utilised in any way. So the extra option of being able to add 4 more gig of ram is redundant no?

Edit - But I do agree that if it's not what you payed for and thought you were buying you are right to demand the correct MB or return the purchase.

Last edited:
Agree with that but if I had bought a computer with the abillity of taking 8gig of ram, I would expect that to arrive. No one knows what changes will come with win7, it's early days but I would rather have the option to go to 8 gig "when the time arrives" rather than be restricted to 4.

If you buy a new PC you want it to go as far as it can, 4 to 8, what would you prefer if you had the option to send it back.

Absolutely Hiteck. I would say Windows 8 will support and utilise above the 4 gig limit in place at the moment. So in the future he could use it. Basically it's not what you paid for so too right, give 'em hell! (y)

Edit - Sorry session I missed your post there!! 64bit sounds damn nice!

I've had a look on a few sites, and they say 64-bit Win7 can handle more than 4GB of ram, assuming you've got higher than Home Basic. I think haha

Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

Thanks heaps again guys. You've been most handy :)

It's likely use 3.5GB at most but the option is there IF you need it so send it back and demand a refund or at least ask for what you paid for.

Keep in touch and let us know what you decided to do and how you got on :cheesy grin:.

Give 'em hell it is then! :grin: I love a good, moral fight..

I'll update when I hear back from the company.

MSI K9N6PGM2-V - motherboard - micro ATX - GeForce 6100 - Compare prices, reviews, user opinions - Shopper.com

Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P - motherboard - micro ATX - GeForce 6100 - Compare prices, reviews, user opinions - Shopper.com

here's detailed reviews on each board to help you decide, yeah one can hold more ram but to be running something using 8 gigs of ram you would need a better and much more expensive board in the first place.

gigabyte has better bios support built into the board so i personally would go for that one, i dont think either board can be overclocked either, maybe the gigabyte one slightly due to a dual bios on the board, anyway, something for you too look at :)

Session I think that moral thing is to ask about a return or swap of mobo's. ;)

I would really look at a Biostar mobo as well.. they are pretty good mobo's for the money and have a decent BIOS as well. :) What is your brother gonna do with this computer? That may be more important than what mobo is in it atm. ;) Like someone said I wouldn't try to run much on that mobo anyway. It's meant for light duty work and NOT a beast. ;) BUT you prolly know that anyway.

GOod LuCk.. :whistling:

Cheers all.

The Gigabyte one deff seems the way to go then. My bro will be using it mostly for games, off and online, and the other usual stuff, backing up dvds etc, downloading. Not sure how much ram that kinda thing uses.

I'll look at getting him a better mobo later on, thanks greensman (y)

Still waiting on the company to reply to me.

I've emailed, and sent messages on eBay, and no one has gotten back to me yet.

Is it time to defame them yet?

Back