motorised dish issue

vocalis

Hi.
I need help please as going crazy!
I upgraded my motorised system with a new Zgemma H9S and a new Inverto LNB.
With the dish pointing to Thor 0.8W (my longitude is -2.19) and correct latitude on the motor and elevation on the dish, I couldn't get any signal whatsoever on the receiver.
Moving the dish east or west made no difference, same thing changing the elevation of the dish: SNR and AGC completely lifeless.
I then by chance tried a "blind search" and suddenly I have a lots of channels and a 68% SNR and 69% AGC on Thor, with the dish pointing exactly to the same direction as before!
I then performed the same "blind search" for satellites close to Thor with similar results.
The problem is that, the next time I turn on the received I'm back to square one: with the dish still pointing to Thor, in "Positioner setup" and "Signal Finder" it shows still no signal and all the channels have gone and I have to start the process again!
Any idea of what am I doing wrong please?
Cheers

Hi woody6222, thanks.
Both tuner and motor settings have been saved.
what image are you using? I used to have a problem with black hole and usals on a vu duo2. The only way around it that worked for me was in set up to initially use the simple set up. Enter your co ordinates and then for each satellite allocate enter the same details and save as lnb1,2,3 etc and when all done change the option to use usals on all of the individual satellites you want to use. Then go back to set up, select usal s and then undertake a manual scan. This is a bit long winded but it might solve your problem.

Can you try your old receiver to it drive the dish. If dish is still on the arc and your old receiver can get the channels you can narrow it down to the new receiver. I think there was at least one zgemma that had issues driving the motor. I cannot remember which model though.

Get the motor to move to 0Either by manual
East/West buttons /digital display
Turn off the h9s Disconnect motor and tunner
Connection
Turn on the h9s install up to date channel list
Select f.t.a channel 0.8west You should get
Tune failed As motor is disconnected Turn h9s
Off connect your tunner power back on
Make sure your still On the previous channel
The motorwill move slightily Now get the best
Signal on 0.8 west By adjusting east /West elevation Then move through the various
Satellites east west

Attachments

• DishPointer_Pro_1.6.1.zip
    51.6 KB · Views: 15
what image are you using? I used to have a problem with black hole and usals on a vu duo2. The only way around it that worked for me was in set up to initially use the simple set up. Enter your co ordinates and then for each satellite allocate enter the same details and save as lnb1,2,3 etc and when all done change the option to use usals on all of the individual satellites you want to use. Then go back to set up, select usal s and then undertake a manual scan. This is a bit long winded but it might solve your problem.
Hi, thanks. I use OpenATV. I will try what you suggested. Cheers

Get the motor to move to 0Either by manual
East/West buttons /digital display
Turn off the h9s Disconnect motor and tunner
Connection
Turn on the h9s install up to date channel list
Select f.t.a channel 0.8west You should get
Tune failed As motor is disconnected Turn h9s
The motorwill move slightily Now get the best
Signal on 0.8 west By adjusting east /West elevation Then move through the various
Satellites east west

Thanks linesman66
A couple of questions please
How do I disconnect the tuner?
And how do I install an up to date channel list?
Thank you

Can you try your old receiver to it drive the dish. If dish is still on the arc and your old receiver can get the channels you can narrow it down to the new receiver. I think there was at least one zgemma that had issues driving the motor. I cannot remember which model though.

Thank you. The Zgemma H9S seems to drive the motor okay. I have to see if I can find my old dreambox somewhere...

Green button/Green button download plugins
Extensions / Vhannibal auto settings/Cyrus settings press ok to download
Disconnecting the tunner is disconnecting your satellite feed

Hi linesmen66
I followed your instructions to the letter a few times but, when I get at the stage above, when I turn the power back on, despite the fact I'm still on the FTA channel on 0.8w, I just get the symbol that the dish is turning but nothing happens. If I try any other FTA tv channels on 0,8w, same thing. It gives me "0" SNR and AGC despite
the dish still pointing to 0.8w. However if I do a blind search, with the dish not moving, I do get > 600 channels and a good signal.
If at this point I try to move to say 13e, using Vhannibal settings, the dish moves but I cannot visualise any channels but again a blind scan will find hundreds of channels.
I don't understand it! The settings for longitude and latitude are correct and saved

Try the polish channels on 13 east the italian ones are off so you will get a blank screen,Try polsat channels and you do have a line on the box?

With my box on open atv i dont use any of them settings in the plugins,I picked usals in the tuner settings added the longitude and latitude,
then with the motor set to 0 and the dish and motor pointing south i go to manual scan,select the tuner as dvb-s2 ,type of scan set to single satellite,then pick the satalite you want to scan,press ok then the dish should move to that sat and start to scan it,then do the same for other sats you want.then to find the the sats you have scanned when you exit out the menus,prees FAV on the remote,then green button for reception lists and all the sats should be listed in the menu.pick a sat,select a channel and the dish should move to that sat and the channel should open.

Last edited:
Try the polish channels on 13 east the italian ones are off so you will get a blank screen,Try polsat channels and you do have a line on the box?

With my box on open atv i dont use any of them settings in the plugins,I picked usals in the tuner settings added the longitude and latitude,
then with the motor set to 0 and the dish and motor pointing south i go to manual scan,select the tuner as dvb-s2 ,type of scan set to single satellite,then pick the satalite you want to scan,press ok then the dish should move to that sat and start to scan it,then do the same for other sats you want.then to find the the sats you have scanned when you exit out the menus,prees FAV on the remote,then green button for reception lists and all the sats should be listed in the menu.pick a sat,select a channel and the dish should move to that sat and the channel should open.
Thanks pieeater2015, I will try that. Cheers

Extensions / Vhannibal auto settings/Cyrus settings 1.1 might not be the most up to date
Channel list With USAL your installation has
To be 100% 1.2 is different as you can fine tune Each transponder With 1.1 meter traix
Dish my s.n.r on thor was 90 + BBC world
Is a good f.t.a channel to work from If you
Don't have a decent satellite meter
With thor you should be recieving 800+ channels Purchase a digital lever with a magnetic base check your pole bracket is
90 Make sure your dish motor are all in line on true south Then use your reciever to move to 0.8 thor and make adjustments to recieve the
Highest possible s.n.r Then follow pieeaters
Instructions with your settings

Extensions / Vhannibal auto settings/Cyrus settings 1.1 might not be the most up to date
To be 100% 1.2 is different as you can fine tune Each transponder With 1.1 meter traix
With thor you should be recieving 800+ channels Purchase a digital lever with a magnetic base check your pole bracket is
90 Make sure your dish motor are all in line on true south Then use your reciever to move to 0.8 thor and make adjustments to recieve the
Spot on advice linesman, I have always used bbc world news on Thor 0.8w for setting up a motorised dish, until that is I moved into my current home, when that method failed me, got thor set up ok, but the other sats didnt follow suit, ended up a mate that knows a bit more than me about setting them up advised me to try setting up for 5w, so I did and it worked perfect.

Thanks linesman66
The issue I have is that when I get onto 0.8 thor, if I go to Positioner Setup or Signal Finder it shows I have no signal whatsoever.
If I try to do a manual or automatic search (both with user defined transponder or automatic transponder) the system finds no channels.
One would think the dish is not pointing to thor but, if I run a blind scan it quickly finds lots of transponders and then hundreds of channels! If now I go to signal finder or positioner setup it shows I have a signal.
If I now run an automatic or manual scan I get only 6 channels!
I know that the motor hasn't moved as I have a twin cable coming down from the dish and, as a trial, I used the cable which is not connected to the motor but only to the LNB.
Is it because I don't have the right transponders when I do the automatic or manual scan?

Back