motorised dish not picking up many channels advice please

goatie

hi folks
been like this for a long time just never resolved the issue
put on a LNB, but no change

I think it needs just a move up or down on dish, but its hard to check as I'm working alone (may have to get a GTmedia V8 satellite finder)

I'm using a VU+ solo2 with openvix 5.0.24 (tried newer images but this seems best for me)
if I go on to channel Russia today 4.8E then use signal finder in the SETUPI get 27%,
then if I go to Positioner setup and use fine movement buttons either 1 push east or west the signal goes

for Signal Finder I get

0.9W God Channel 42% 11357H 24500 7/8
4,8E Russia Today 27% 11996H 27500 3/4
7E Trt Sp 32% 10804V 30000 5/6
13E Canal+ Sp 57% 11278V 27500 3/4
19E BBC World News 79% 11229V 22000 2/3

do the above %'s indicate what way I need to move Dish ?
I'm sure I used to get 70+% on Viasat sports channels a few years ago
Line of sight is ok if anything 13E-19E is closer to the trees

I'm just making a fine adjustment screw for the dish (can't find the web page now, but its a threaded bar that's bolted to L bracket on bottom of dish and a bracket on the bolt that holds dish & motor that is the pivit point, but need to wait till rain stops

you could do with a sat finder meter the cheap one will do, just so you can hear the pitch increase when your signal increases.to move the dish left or right you need to slacken the bolts on the motor and move the motor and dish as one unit,it should only be a fine ajustment,then to adjust up or down just move the dish only again will only be a fine adjustment.

maybe worth checking with a boat level first everything is level and plumb before moveing anything.

Last edited:
What sat did you set up for originally, a usual one in most cases is 0.8w, but not always as it depends on your location, looks like you need a bit of tweaking some way as your signals are not great for those channels, you could try moving your longitude step by step 0.5 at a time ,just to see if your signal improves, as long as you take a note of what its at now so you can put it back to that if you cant improve the signal, other than that I can only think you may be better to start from scratch and do a re -alignment and set up for whatever sat is recommended, I think Dishpointer tells you what one it should be when you type in your post code.

I've check the pole is true/level
don't think its side to side that's out, as if I use the VU+ to fine move the dish the signal goes on first movement east or west
sure it must be elevation,
set it up looking at 0.8w a few years ago
where it is it does get hit by the wind, so could have moved, but as I say moving east or west by 1 click on VU+ buttons loses the signal completely (when it was setup I could use fine movement in both directions still getting a signal) so to me that points to dish elevation
got a cheap meter so may have to try it again,

Last edited:
Dear friend.
Thanks for your support to Smartview.
A good news to tell you that Aliexpress 328 Anniversary Sale Day is coming.It will start from 2019/3/28 00:00:00 PST to 2019/3/31 23:59:00 PST.
There will many nice goods with big discounts on that 3 days,you can find anything you want.
Do you want more coupons??? Ok,just please add goods to cart or wish list now.We will send more coupons to you for every customer who add cart or wish list.

China SmartView Digital Co. Ltd. - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress

Best regards
maria

when I setup the motorised dish I used BBC world on 0.8W, then checked each satellite ( 4.8E, 16E, 19E, etc) using BBC world or God channels too ensure i was recieve good signal strength
all i can think is the dish or arm has moved due to wind etc

I've an old Sky dish up as well, so don't go to 28E on the motorised dish, the VU+ solo2 has 2 sat tuners so I run 2 Dishes

as you say I'm picking the arc up correctly, so I don't want to muck about with the pole or the motor,
the dish is picking up the satellites But not all the channels or at a great strength %
so i'm sure its only the elevation angle that needs adjusting

i'm in nth notts, with a 110mm triax dish
I know it picks up the satellites as a few years back it picked them up ok

Move the dish to 0.8 without losing and bolts
Try to bend the dish up slightily to see if your
S.n.r improves

If the dish is handy to get at , can you not try and tap the top of it slightly with your fingers only, see if you can get any improvement on signal, then if that works make sure the bolts are tight, its worth trying before starting again from scratch, but I think thats what you may end up having to do eventually. Also what signal do you get on bbc world news on 0.8w

not checked BBC world on 0.8 will be later tonight (Mrs watch TV now)
I was going to loosen bolts and change dish upwards by 1 degree, will turn it to 0.8 first.

maybe I'll try to fit a fine elevation adjuster like this, before I start playing with dish
I've welded a tube to a bar instead of using a window storm hinge, just need to setup the L bracket on dish
TriaxElevationAdjustment3.jpg

is what I'm saying about lift dish elevation make sense in regards to fixing my problem ?
as I've said in other posts in this thread fine movement East or West loses the signal completely, so moving dish up/down should get me more signal

It does look like the issue is in the elevation, dish has maybe moved with the wind, as stated by linesman earlier, just try tilting it upwards, without loosening the bolts, if you then get a better signal that you are happy with, then tighten the bolts on the elevation slightly if you can, then see how it goes.

Back