Motorised Dish

SatFinder pro - Apps on Google Play
Digital lever is best for making sure your
Brackets pole are at 90 degrees
Make sure the motor is set to zero
And the latitude scale is set correct on the motor
Set your dish elevation to 27.4
ROTATE the dish and polar head on the mounting pole so the dish is facing true south
Look down at the polar head and dish ,to make sure they are all in line Tighten the fixing
Bolts hand tight The compass with the above
App will help you find true south
With the usual settings with in the reciever
Drive the motor to your reference satellite
In your case is 0.8 west
Move the polar head left or right slightly
When moving the elevation off the dish.up or
Down to peak the signal With thor 0.8 west your s.n.r should be 90 +
The next step is to rotate the dish on the polar head to find a reference satellite to the East
Astra at 28 East This can be done with the usual settings with in the reciever.Move the .dish east and west to maximise the Signal,then slacked the elevation adjustment bolts Peak the signal level retighten the bolts
Next rotate the dish on its polar head to find a satellite to the west and maximise the Signal Then without loosening the elevation bolts flex the dish up and down by hand to see if the signal can be increasedIf so the polsr head must be adjusted very slightily on the mounting pole and the whole procedure repeated until no increase in the signal can be
Obtained on either the East or West satellite Move the dish to find a satellite near as possible to due south Check the signal is still peaked If not readjust the declination angle setting on the dish very slightily Repeat the whole procedure until the signal level is peaked on all satellites

As anyone used this cheap finder To set up a dish,thinking of investing in one to help with setting dish up.

left the dish for a while as it was doing my head in local lads won’t touch motorised dish setups they say to much hassle I can currently get Thor at 51% snr but that should be stronger eutelsat 9b 71% snr hot bird 10% snr eutelsat 16a 10% snr Astra 10% snr

so been looking at this cheap meter to see if I can get better

KKmoon DVB-S2 V8 Finder Digital Satellite Finder with 3.5 inch LCD Digital Display: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

That will do the job just fine. The run of the mill satellite installers will never have fitted motorised systems as most tend to be ex sky.

What size dish are you using? Is it possible for you to do a few pics? If the rig is not dead straight that meter wont make any difference. And can you say make of receiver and lnb? When you start you know the elevation the dsh should be and the elevation for the alsat motor but that manual can sometimes say use latitude and mean elevation. Is it a pole mount on t&k brackets? I posted a pic overleaf which shows what happens when you use latitude instead of elevation. Its a lot easier than you realise and if you can look down on rig when at 0 EVERTHING should look dead straight. Then rest has to be 100% level and perpendicualr and no trees or tall buildings.IMG_7197.JPG

With money saved you could get better cable and lnb etc.

I’m using an 100cm dish attached to dark motor can’t remember what lnb is fitted I use an open box receiver I’ve had spirt level on and it’s level.I have a clear view no trees in the way at all,I think it’s needs a fine tune on Thor it’s as tho it’s missing the ark as it moves so maybe just slight adjustments are needed.

before you align the dish do you enter your long and lat into the receiver or after you align the dish to Thor

You enter your details before and have MOTOR at zero. Whats the model of the open box? some of these have duff signal indicators. Have you an enigma image on it and can you say what it is? with a 100cm you sjould get near the 90's or better BUT receiver can be wonky. Can you do any pics? Did you fine tune the lnb? I helped someone recently and it sounded similar to your glitch but cant rememebr, they did post pics and I could see rig was off and wrong elevation setting. I have same motor as you and 110cm triax dish with a VU+ RECEIVER. I am not in uk but get 94% on al jeezera and 82 on gospel channel. Use these to tune, one is vertical and the other is horizantal. Get 0.8 at the evry best and beware when you tighten bolts it can affect aiming so keep an eye on signal.

I would not use an openbox for motorised, they are cheap and used to be very useful a while back. It depends how competent you are but I would advise you to get a vu+ solo2 on flea bay, if you look now there is one going at 50 and its genuine. I have 2 of them. They take an internal 2.5 hdd, I have an ssd in one and its completely silent. It may come with an image preloaded and if you are a newbie your best bet is start with openvix. I thik your openbox has its own software. With vix it comes with lot of what you need already installed.

As anyone used this cheap finder To set up a dish,thinking of investing in one to help with setting dish up.

left the dish for a while as it was doing my head in local lads won’t touch motorised dish setups they say to much hassle I can currently get Thor at 51% snr but that should be stronger eutelsat 9b 71% snr hot bird 10% snr eutelsat 16a 10% snr Astra 10% snr

so been looking at this cheap meter to see if I can get better

KKmoon DVB-S2 V8 Finder Digital Satellite Finder with 3.5 inch LCD Digital Display: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
That unit looks as if could be a clone of the one I have bought GTMEDIA V8 Finder Meter there seems to be many variations of it , but going by makers forum some of the clones do not upgrade firmware via usb. Aint even used it yet still to get my new dish mounted but before it had even arrived I wish I had bought the satlink meter. the GTMedia V8 Finder does come with satellites list but the order of sats is not correct and you need to select the one you want they even recommend using a tone finder meter with this :confused:

Satlink 6196 is a decent meter for the price
Satellite lead with push on connections is really good for quick installation

Attachments

• 20200723_205105.jpg
    20200723_205105.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
The main.meter I use is the horizon hdms usb The satlink is a great back up meter

The link I added in post 403 That company
Are very decent

Attachments

• 20200723_205138.jpg
    20200723_205138.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
@linesman66 , may get back to you and any available member :laughing: when I eventually have time to get this dish setup , got my meter , compass , and magnetic Inclinometer (need to get Batteries for that ) also bought a Diseqc 2x1 switch. Because one forum member suggested to also use old sly dish saves time bacause probably watching sly most of the time.

I bought the gt media v8 just had a quick test on the dish and I moved the snr by 10,will have a proper go tomorrow even starting from scratch I think and take it from there but liking it already tbh.

just need to source a better box that will,store loads of channels and I can get the euro servers etc on cs

Something not right somewhere with this only had a quick mess as got to go out will mess at the weekend once my new box comes ordered the ax hd61 box.

just took a few photos to see if anyone can spot something that’s wrong dish is on Thor

Attachments

• 24395F26-BB76-4AA2-8BAC-6972FFBD2E58.jpeg
    24395F26-BB76-4AA2-8BAC-6972FFBD2E58.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • B108F66C-E4CF-4FC1-8016-E55D447456AB.jpeg
    B108F66C-E4CF-4FC1-8016-E55D447456AB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • A6B2F51D-C238-44B0-AC20-CFAFDDA5D842.jpeg
    A6B2F51D-C238-44B0-AC20-CFAFDDA5D842.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
Back