Moving VM cable

tom1ie

Hi all,
im doing a bit of home renovation and I need to extend the VM cable by about 10m max.
I have joined a bit of RG6 coaxial (about 10m) to the incoming f series plug and then put the technetrix tris t1002-L at the end of this 10m extra RG6.
However I am now getting a message on Wi-Fi saying I have weak security, the Ethernet connected internet is connected sometimes but not all the time.
I rang the VM halo desk who said the light on the modem should be green not white- and that white means im not getting “enough” broadband.
Have I made a balls of this and should I have used something other than RG6?

You can use WF 100 cable aswell but the key thing is good compression fittings on it if possible.
As for wifi security being affected i cant see what that as to do with extending the cable 🤔 only thing that could be affected is your power signals levels which ideally need to be around 0 db or as close to 1👍

The RG6 will have no baring on your wi-fi security.

However it will have reduced your signal heavily as it's probably the worst quality coax you can get.

I just moved mine, compression fittings, a drum of wf125, trunking painted and screwed along the room and painted same colour as walls and looks like it's meant to be there. I would advise not to add on to the cable with extenders and just start fresh from virgin entry point

The RG6 will have no baring on your wi-fi security.

However it will have reduced your signal heavily as it's probably the worst quality coax you can get.
RG6 is only a generic term, it no longer has any military connection AFAIAA.
CT100 and WF100 are RG6 cables.
But the OP has probably used a rubbish cable if it has been sold purely as RG6.

Back