Mrs Brown says no to the USA

noelyf

VIP Member
O'Carroll turns down big bucks in US

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Comedian Brendan O'Carroll, star and creator of Mrs Brown's Boys, has turned down a "ridiculous" amount of money to take his show to the US.

0004e81a-314.jpg

O'Carroll in character

The Star reports that O'Carroll turned down the offer of producing a special for the US network HBO, which is behind hits like Game of Thrones, The Sopranos and Entourage.

It's believed that HBO wanted the 56-year-old to produce a once-off special, with the option of stretching to a series if the show was well received.

O'Carroll said: "I've already been approached by HBO, initially a special with a commitment that if it pulls the numbers that we'll go ahead with a series."

Instead, the comedian wants to spend time with family, and said he cherishes the privileged position he is in.

0004e81e-628.jpg

O'Carroll as the quick-witted Dubliner Agnes Brown in the hit show

"This is going to sound very lazy - I work 26 weeks a year and I take 26 weeks off, that's the way my life is and that's the way I like my life," he said.

O'Carroll then explained: "In the United States they're offering ridiculous money but they're looking for two years' work. Now I could get a real job and do two years' work.

I don't want to do that. I'm in a very privileged position."

"Those 26 weeks off I spend with the people I want to spend time with. There's no money you could pay me to give those up," he concluded.

A third series of the show has been commissioned, and is set to be broadcast later this year.

just proves that money isnt everything to everyone! As he said if he wants to work full time he'd get a real job!!

Hes obviously happy with it being her and they can see it in the US. Good luck to the guy. He certainly brightens up this household :)

Back