My laptop will not start

paulg

Hi all,

Last night I installed a sound blaster external sound card on my virtually problem free laptop, after installing it it prompted me to restart my laptop which I did only to find that now my pc will not turn on.

All I get is the power light and what I think is a flickering light which indicates hard drive activity but thats it, my screen just stays black.

Im sure it as something to do with my external sound card installation or is it just a coincidence.

Anyone with ideas will be appreciated.

By the way the pc will not allow me to enter set up or safe mode it just stays completley black

Thanks for helping

All the best

Paulg

Hi paulg, Can you maybe supply us with more info.

1) What is laptop make and model of laptop.
2) model of sound card,
3) Operating System,
4) Do you have anything coming on the monitor at all when first switched on (Information on what key to enter the BIOS, boot options etc),
5) Have you any USB or otherwise devices connected to the Laptop,
6) Have you tried connecting to an external monitor,
7)have you tried putting laptop lid in different positions.
8) Any other recent changes, hardware or software

All info however small will help the people on here try to get to the bottom of your prob. Information overload is not a problem :)
If you have not done this already, try booting the laptop without the sound card connected.

Hi paulg,

Here are the Images etc I promised you that unfortunately got lost with the server problem

Here is the image of where the battery is, with the white plug you need to disconnect then reconnect after 20 seconds or so. This will reset the password you have on the BIOS. REMEMBER YOU MUST disconnect the power lead, and remove the battery or the BIOS will not reset and password will not clear.

2010-04-08_181618_mobo.jpg

Here is the Acer site link that you can download the latest BIOS for the laptop (just put your model number in etc). You should be able to flash the BIOS from windows by running the "InsydeFlash.exe" in the downloaded windows folder. See the read me in download folder. This should remove the BIOS password, and a straw clutcher could help with the blank screen (a big straw clutcher). There should be no need to remove the battery plug if you choose this option. I think you may be able to get at it by just removing the L Shaped cover on the base, but not sure.

As I mentioned before, If you are lucky you will only need to remove the Switch cover to get at and check the LCD connector to the motherboard. It will be a thock cable\s well insulated. I have a feeling that there may be no screws holding the Switch cover on but am not sure. So remove any screws directly opposit on the base, including any in the battery compartment before you CAREFULY and patiently prize it off.
1047_84_45-acer-aspire-hinge-repair-pics.jpg

Here is a link to the service manual if you need to strip it down.

And here is another useful Link

Good Luck bud.

Last edited:
thanks Jodav your a star, not looking forward to stripping my pc down:hammer:lol but like you say patience and a bit of tender loving care should get me through it. I'll let yo know the outcome good or bad.:bye:

All the best

paulg

Thanks paulg, It will be nice to know how you get on. I have lost count of the number of laptops I have stripped down, and I am not afraid to admit I still get nervous (especially when they are not mine).

Go as far as you can, write every step down with pics as you go, it makes it much easier to reassemble when the time comes. A little tip is, if you have to completely strip it down for any reason, once you unscrew all the screws from the base, is to leave them in the holes and just put pieces of cellotape over them (then you know you have right screw for right hole (although newer laptops seem to be getting more standadised screw sizes now). Bag all other screws seperately and number them as per your written steps. If you feel you are getting in too deep at any time, then STOP and take it to a repair shop.

And one other thing, a good Tech ALWAYS has one or two screws left over when he or she has reassembled a computer lol

Back