N00B Question - Is internet Required?

biggzi

Hi All.

Im pretty tech savy as I work in IT but satellite boxes are new to me.

I've just moved into my own place, I love TV but refuse to pay the prices of sky and virgin. I always had tivo at the parents, which was great but as said I'm not paying that price!

I've been doing some research and planning to go for an entry level box something like a V8S or a Zgemma just to get me used to the basics. Might go for something a bit better if I can find a good deal.

Anyway down to business and my actual question.... really sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find a definitive answer.

Do I need an internet connection for these boxes to function? We will have internet eventually but don't have it installed yet. Am I able to load the channel list via USB? Or even take the box to my parents to setup and then bring it back to mine? Once configured I'm assuming I will be able to receive FTA channels with no internet connection?

Thanks.

it will work without internet, BUT you will only get FTA channels, it needs a permanent internet connection for the magic to work

Great. That's what I was hoping for TBH.

What about channel lists? Can this be updated via USB? Or is that dependent on the box?

Great. That's what I was hoping for TBH.

What about channel lists? Can this be updated via USB? Or is that dependent on the box?

Hello mate, I was in the same boat as you about a month ago.

I took a bit of a risk and opted for a higher end box (Linux enigma 2 that you can run a VIX image on, also something you can install a HD in) and I wasn't disappointed, I can record just like a sky box and even apply skins so it looks like one too.

The way I understand it is that the cheaper types of boxes in some cases will require you to updae channel lists via USB but the higher end ones can be set to update automatically along with electronic program guides, bouquets etc.

You will need an internet connection to get the 'gifts'to work.

I hope that helps

Sat box have more channels on them, but since April 2014 all but a few hd channels remain and eventually like all good things they will come to an end as well , at the moment the way to go is cable if it's possible for you not so many channels as sky but at the moment they have not blocked their hd channels .. enjoy but go for an engima 2 box better by far ..

Well said all but here's the wet towel for your dreaming---by all means splash out on fancy boxes for Sky and VM but, the crunch will come. The companies are losing far too much revenue to sit back and watch as customers bid farewell and get into the share market---they will find a way to stop it and believe me when I say that tears will flow.
IPTV will take over shortly just as it has in Malaysia and then something else and suddenly we will be back to square 1.
I run sat boxes, you run sat or cable but none of them are future proof so enjoy while you can but don't spend too much.
Reaper.

Good posts , I have been looking at iptv now for about 4 yrs , but have been put of with prices etc , but just recently I I have been looking at it more closely and I don't think I will spend anymore cash on a new sat / cable in the future , iptv will be my next adventure but here's hoping cardsharing stays for a while , but when I go on to ebay and see all they cheap box's and all they 36 months gifts for £19.99 I think the end will come sooner rather than later , just my opinion guys .... :fear:

Back