National insurance credits for people over 60

tonybev

Hi I am 64 years old and have stopped caring for my mother who recently passed away as a carer I was getting my national insurance credits paid I would like to ask if I signed on just for my insurance credits would I be made to look for work I would not get any benefits as I have a private pension but I need the national insurance credits to get s full state pension when I am 66
Thanks in advance

Think you only need 35 years N I contributions to qualify for state pension. So as long as you've been employed or signing on, you should be well in. However class 2 NI contributions need to be paid still or it will effect sick pay and some benefits.
Think class 2 is only £185 for 12 months.
Hope this helps mate.
The DWP are like a dog with a bone for pensions and other incomes. They tried to rip us off when my mum passed.
Be wary of them...... Paul

Think you only need 35 years N I contributions to qualify for state pension. So as long as you've been employed or signing on, you should be well in. However class 2 NI contributions need to be paid still or it will effect sick pay and some benefits.
Think class 2 is only £185 for 12 months.
Hope this helps mate.
The DWP are like a dog with a bone for pensions and other incomes. They tried to rip us off when my mum passed.
Be wary of them...... Paul
Thanks both for replying
I totally agree with you Paul about Dwp had it when my dad passed away 2 years ago and now with my mother's estate both worked all there lives and had to pay for everything themselves as they had pensions and some savings I have worked since I was 16 and my problem is that I was employed by the council so I was contracted out of the national insurance for 30 years so I just need the extra 2 years stamps for a full pension

I think they will only let you sign on if you are actively looking for work, I think you need to find so many hours a week and login to there job search page so many hours a week,if you don't they will sanction you,I think you can get round it by volunteering otherwise you will be sent to courses or sent on work placements

I think they will only let you sign on if you are actively looking for work, I think you need to find so many hours a week and login to there job search page so many hours a week,if you don't they will sanction you,I think you can get round it by volunteering otherwise you will be sent to courses or sent on work placements
Thanks for the reply
I would not get any payment from them as my private pension is over the limit .I would just get my stamp paid if I signed on
I have read that in northern Ireland that anyone over 62 does not have to engage in looking for work activity

Sorry i was thinking you was in England,I just know here that to sign on you need to be looking for full time work.
No need to apologise.i am in England .I just quoted an article I found while googling and thought the same may apply here

No need to apologise.i am in England .I just quoted an article I found while googling and thought the same may apply here
Update
I popped into the job centre on Saturday .yes they are open Saturdays didn't know that
spoke to a nice lady there and she advised I make a claim for universal credit and although I will get no payment my stamp would be paid and I would not be made to look for work or even go into the job centre to sign on because of my age
I have made a claim as advised and will update further

Update
I popped into the job centre on Saturday .yes they are open Saturdays didn't know that
spoke to a nice lady there and she advised I make a claim for universal credit and although I will get no payment my stamp would be paid and I would not be made to look for work or even go into the job centre to sign on because of my age
I have made a claim as advised and will update further
They say if yours out of work but don’t entitled to a payment you still sign on and get your stamp but don’t get other payments

Hi
further update got a call today saying as I had £16000 in savings they had closed my claim looks like I will have to get a part time job to get the extra stamps I need
Regards

Hi
further update got a call today saying as I had £16000 in savings they had closed my claim looks like I will have to get a part time job to get the extra stamps I need
Regards
Why?
Just get in touch with NI office and arrange to pay your own stamp for a year or two, as if you were self employed

You can also log into the gov. Uk site
They will send you a code to your mobile.
There you can see exactly how many years you have paid / not paid /or need to pay to qualify for full state pension. If you haven't paid enough, you will still get your state pension at a reduced rate. Just way up if the shortfall is more than the amount yours will be reduced by and choose the easiest route. DON'T BE FORCED BACK INTO EMPLOYMENT IF YOUR NOT UP TO IT., you could go down the sick route which millions do. This would mean Nics paid and no work. But probably mean a trip to the doctors. And that's as easy as knitting fog, these days
Good Luck mate.
Or shuffle the cash and return. I had the same when my folks passed.... Paul

poster, be careful about contributing more direct to top up your pension, you can still do this and be no better off or get no increase, the advice direct form NI cant be relied on to confirm any added contribution with increase to your pension .

Last edited:
You can also log into the gov. Uk site
There you can see exactly how many years you have paid / not paid /or need to pay to qualify for full state pension. If you haven't paid enough, you will still get your state pension at a reduced rate.
Just checked mine and I also will have a shortfall apparently :unsure:
I always assumed that 45 years of full contributions would get me a full state pension :cry:

NI record.png

NI forecast.png

35 qualifying years

Under these rules, you'll usually need at least 10 qualifying years on your National Insurance record to get any State Pension. You'll need 35 qualifying years to get the full new State Pension. You'll get a proportion of the new State Pension if you have between 10 and 35 qualifying years.
1643665349107.png
Home › articles

Understanding and qualifying for new State Pension | nidirect

35 years should be plenty mate.
NI contributions Newcastle.
Give them a bell there dead helpful.
They won't ask you for more monie ha ha.
And will put your mind at rest as to were you stand.
But I've recently been in touch with them and was told I only need one more qualifying year, and I paid that last week.
Still have more years of graft but pension is secured. Hope this helps mate..... Paul

35 qualifying years

Under these rules, you'll usually need at least 10 qualifying years on your National Insurance record to get any State Pension. You'll need 35 qualifying years to get the full new State Pension. You'll get a proportion of the new State Pension if you have between 10 and 35 qualifying years.
View attachment 71045
Home › articles

Understanding and qualifying for new State Pension | nidirect

35 years should be plenty mate.
NI contributions Newcastle.
Give them a bell there dead helpful.
They won't ask you for more monie ha ha.
And will put your mind at rest as to were you stand.
But I've recently been in touch with them and was told I only need one more qualifying year, and I paid that last week.
Still have more years of graft but pension is secured. Hope this helps mate..... Paul
Just wondering if I declared myself as self employed to pay the Class 2 rate instead of class 3 would I have to declare some earnings from being self employed
Regards Tony

You could have made a loss,at the end of the tax return it will ask you do you want to make a voluntary contribution.

Just wondering if I declared myself as self employed to pay the Class 2 rate instead of class 3 would I have to declare some earnings from being self employed
Regards Tony
Submit a null return and just pay the class 4 as that’s the voluntary and the class 2 is a percentage of your profit if it’s over the NI threshold, but I’m not sure if the voluntary is enough for full stamp on its own

Back