National insurance credits for people over 60

Self employed class 2 is a fixed rate.
Not sure if it's £159 or 185 per 12 month.
Your best bet is to call National insurance contribution and ask them.
They won't make you pay anything. They will just explain to you if you don't. You may not get the full pension entitlement. Just checked its £159.....Paul

Self employed class 2 is a fixed rate.
Not sure if it's £159 or 185 per 12 month.
Your best bet is to call National insurance contribution and ask them.
They won't make you pay anything. They will just explain to you if you don't. You may not get the full pension entitlement. Just checked its £159.....Paul
I’ve got the class 4 and class 2 the wrong way around. Been a while since I was a subby

Sometimes it doesn't pay to have a full record of NI contributions. If you are one year or less short with no other income coming in you will likely be entitled to Pension Credit, which has many financial benefits.

Just checked mine and I also will have a shortfall apparently :unsure:
I always assumed that 45 years of full contributions would get me a full state pension :cry:

View attachment 71037

View attachment 71038
Spot on there willow, ive lost my last 5 yrs Ni credits & had a shortfall, we all thought 30+ yrs & u’ll get gull pension, but i think its all b****x, ive had to claim an xtra 5yrs looking after gran children via childcare tax credits to accumulate 47 yrs Ni to get full pension.. but go online & check any gaps
ID

Why were does it say you need more than 35 years to qualify for full pension. I spoke to them 2 weeks ago and the told me I only needed one more to qualify for full pension. And I have gaps in mine.... Paul

Sometimes it doesn't pay to have a full record of NI contributions. If you are one year or less short with no other income coming in you will likely be entitled to Pension Credit, which has many financial benefits.
this is true, my best mate who has full pension and no other income , been a big thing between us for years he always said he would be ok as he would get all the benefits , pen credit etc, only to find out with full pension he is £10 over pen credit acceptance , he is both gutted and fuming ( made me smile ), and he has spoke to .gov pension on more than one occasion but sill cant get benefits , he going to struggle now !

Hi I am 64 years old and have stopped caring for my mother who recently passed away as a carer I was getting my national insurance credits paid I would like to ask if I signed on just for my insurance credits would I be made to look for work I would not get any benefits as I have a private pension but I need the national insurance credits to get s full state pension when I am 66
Thanks in advance
Tony, go on HMRC website, register free, it will tell you how many years contributions you have made, if there any shortfalls and how you can make them up, it sounds difficult but honestly it’s not

Reactions: PCM
this is true, my best mate who has full pension and no other income , been a big thing between us for years he always said he would be ok as he would get all the benefits , pen credit etc, only to find out with full pension he is £10 over pen credit acceptance , he is both gutted and fuming ( made me smile ), and he has spoke to .gov pension on more than one occasion but sill cant get benefits , he going to struggle now !
I think pension credit is there to make up any shortfall in state pension, that is, if he's getting full state pension he's not eligible for pension credit

I think pension credit is there to make up any shortfall in state pension, that is, if he's getting full state pension he's not eligible for pension credit
yes he gets full pension, but because he does not get pension credits ,as i understand he also does not qualify for the other benefits when you get pension credit, like
  • Housing Benefit if you rent the property you live in
  • help with NHS dental treatment, glasses and transport costs for hospital appointments
  • + others
  • he desperately needed free dental which he cant get as his teeth need filling/ replacement, he does not look good!:laughing:

Sorry mate that question was directed for idledawn.
Hi buddy
Im bemused like most of us, im same as willow, ive now accumulated 47 yrs to make my pension up, i had several yrs of short falls, & i also thought 30-35 yrs was enough.. , however now applying for childcare credits has increased me to full pension, with a total of 47 yrs contributions.. why I’ve no idea & now not going to query & accepted
ID

The 35 years only qualifies you for the OLD State Pension, you have to then build up the NEW State pension from 2016.
NB: you will also have a shortfall if you were contracted out .
Each qualifying year on your National Insurance record after 5 April 2016 will add about £5 a week to your new State Pension. The exact amount you get is calculated by dividing £179.60 by 35 and then multiplying by the number of qualifying years after 5 April 2016.

I've not paid a ha'penny of NI since 2010
Prior to that I had about 30 years contributions.
If I don't get full pension I have a plan, it involves a mask and a gun.
If it works I'll have meals and a roof over my head for the rest of my life.
If it doesn't work I'll have meals and a different roof over my head for the rest of my life.

I've not paid a ha'penny of NI since 2010
Prior to that I had about 30 years contributions.
If I don't get full pension I have a plan, it involves a mask and a gun.
If it works I'll have meals and a roof over my head for the rest of my life.
If it doesn't work I'll have meals and a different roof over my head for the rest of my life.
Just a quick update ,I have got myself a part time job as a dog walker 3 hrs a day it's the perfect job for me as I love all animals especially dogs .also the pay is over the £120 threshold to get my stamp paid but not over the £184 were you pay national insurance .
I will of course pay tax on what I earn

Just a quick update ,I have got myself a part time job as a dog walker 3 hrs a day it's the perfect job for me as I love all animals especially dogs .also the pay is over the £120 threshold to get my stamp paid but not over the £184 were you pay national insurance .
I will of course pay tax on what I earn
Where did you get a job like that?
I've been searching for something similar, even voluntary but can't find anything

Where did you get a job like that?
I've been searching for something similar, even voluntary but can't find anything
I kept looking on the job websites like indeed .total jobs etc you can give them your email address .state your looking for part-time only within so many miles from were you live and you will get emails daily from them .you can even be specific about which jobs you will do or not
good luck in your search

Back