Need advice on building!

Session9

VIP Member
I wanna build my own computer!
Never done it before, and the more I think about it, the more I want to do it.
I've been reading and looking and shopping around and all the rest of it, and I want to see if I've got this right or not.

I'd use it mostly for high-end games (think Sims 2 with every expansion/Sims 3, Crysis etc), downloading/streaming movies/music, backing up/copying DVDs/games, using finance programs like MYOB, and things like Photoshop. Along with the basic internet use, lower resource games, yada yada etc etc.

This is what I have so far:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Case: Some cheap ATX or micro ATX case
Video Card: ASUS NVidia GTX 260 896MB or ASUS NVidia 9500GT 1GB
HDD: A Samsung 1tb SATA
A 650W power supply
4GB DDR2 RAM
DVD Drive: A Samsung SATA 22x
A sound card

I'm not very good at this stuff, and I have no idea what motherboard specs mean.

I need some help =]

Have a look at the really good threads that Gman has put together already Session 9, some good info there already

Forum Gateway - Powered by DnP Firewall

also it will greatly depend on your budget, i am presuming that the list you have are parts you already have in your possession,
you don`t mention a MB there,but i would go for an atx MB as you will have more room to work with,also you will not need to have a MB with integrated video card as you will be using your own.
also what speed is your ram? this too will have an effect.
If you are going to use your new comp`for high end gaming,make sure you have adequate ventilation and fans,
as i said at the start,have a good rummage around Gmans articles, and if you still need any help/info gis a shout and i will try to help you mate.

Thanks for the reply Knotaclu

I have read gman's threads. Was the first thing I did!

I don't have the parts already, I'm just trying to get an idea if I'm on the right track or not, if the things I'm looking at getting will be good enough for my needs and if they will work together nicely.

I know that I need some type of ATX MB, but all those in depth specs are confusing, I don't know which are better than others, and how to tell if they have inbuilt graphics or not.

How many fans would I need?
And a heatsink? What kinda specs do I need to look for to get a good enough one of those?

Back