Network / Games Streaming Room

copycat2000

TK Supporter
Hi Members

first of all sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section

I'm looking at some advise on what is needed to help me in my computer/games room

I have a room above a garage that has been knocked through to the main house that Wi-Fi signal is no go to the games room

I do however have cat5e cable running from my router outside around the house to the side garage i.e. games room

I do get network but only below 50mbps as I have the 1gb virgin

so I'm asking how do I improve the quality of the connection to the games room

I'm thinking a network hub as the cat5e goes to a connation's box for 4 ports i.e. Xbox, pc, fire tv etc.

any advise would be fantastic

Thank you

Is it proper external copper cat5e, and not shitty CCA or even worse CCS,?
If it's decent cable I'd suggest your connections are bad, are you using sockets and patch leads or crimped RJ45s.?
Have you used the correct pairs across the pins, (B configuration) and not some random selection
Does your router actually have 1gig ports on it,? Not all have, and if they do it may only be one of the ports.

hi there

thank you very much for your reply

as for the cat5e its what I got of a friend that was doing some work for a company left over so could not tell you what make of quality of it but don't think its for outside I didn't think this would be a problem

but seems I'm wrong

I got some rj45s off amazon and crimped them myself but not sure on what configuration

my router is the most new one out that supports 1gb I can get 850mb on my Samsung s22 so think the router is fine

so I come from my router cat5e to a net gear connection box in the games room then out from the box to my cctv system pc and Xbox

would you have any links on a better setup i.e. cable rj45s and some sort of networking box i.e. hub

Thanks

You can check the cable , it should have it printed on it what it is at regular intervals , you want to see Cat5e or Cat6 , if not then replace it . What’s the model no. Of the netgear switch Or the speed of it , if it’s not a gigabit switch go on Amazon and search … gigabit switch.
what are you using to measure the speed on ? As they may only have a 100mb Ethernet port.
google Rj45 connector wiring for which colour goes to which pin.

hi there

thank you very much for your reply

as for the cat5e its what I got of a friend that was doing some work for a company left over so could not tell you what make of quality of it but don't think its for outside I didn't think this would be a problem

but seems I'm wrong

I got some rj45s off amazon and crimped them myself but not sure on what configuration

my router is the most new one out that supports 1gb I can get 850mb on my Samsung s22 so think the router is fine

so I come from my router cat5e to a net gear connection box in the games room then out from the box to my cctv system pc and Xbox

would you have any links on a better setup i.e. cable rj45s and some sort of networking box i.e. hub

Thanks
you can find (B Configuration) Here

You can check the cable , it should have it printed on it what it is at regular intervals , you want to see Cat5e or Cat6 , if not then replace it . What’s the model no. Of the netgear switch Or the speed of it , if it’s not a gigabit switch go on Amazon and search … gigabit switch.
what are you using to measure the speed on ? As they may only have a 100mb Ethernet port.
google Rj45 connector wiring for which colour goes to which pin.
hi

im using RealSpeed - SamKnows for the speed and im getting this

Speed to SamKnows Enabled Device = 1148 (connection box)​

Speed to computer 32.4 (patch cable from virgin)​

will have a look at the cat5e tomorrow and the connection box is this

GS205 — 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch

hope this help

Thanks

I would check your cable and connections , what you could do is move the ethernet switch close to the router and connect them using a small length of Ethernet cable and move your pc as well , connect the pc to the switch and do a speed test that way you will know if it’s your long bit of cable with homemade connections that causing the slowdown

I would check your cable and connections , what you could do is move the ethernet switch close to the router and connect them using a small length of Ethernet cable and move your pc as well , connect the pc to the switch and do a speed test that way you will know if it’s your long bit of cable with homemade connections that causing the slowdown
hi

i will try this thank you for all your help

is there ant new gear i could get to better it like new hub

Thanks

I would change those RJ45s for sockets and patch leads, they are notoriously difficult to crimp without half decent crimping pliers, not £40 ones.
Internal versus external cat5e won't make any difference to speed, it just won't survive outside in the elements for long.

hi guys

first of all thank you all for your information

but I would like to install a complete new setup apart from the virgin router

all I have at the moment is standard cat5e that's all it says on it so I'm taking it its cheap rubbish

goes up into games room into a netgear gs205 connection box

then into Xbox pc etc. by ready made patch leads

if anyone could advise on what to get so I can improve this rubbish connections

Thanks

hi guys

first of all thank you all for your information

but I would like to install a complete new setup apart from the virgin router

all I have at the moment is standard cat5e that's all it says on it so I'm taking it its cheap rubbish

goes up into games room into a netgear gs205 connection box

then into Xbox pc etc. by ready made patch leads

if anyone could advise on what to get so I can improve this rubbish connections

Thanks
Put Ethernet sockets on your cat5e is the first thing to try.
Don't terminate it direct into RJ45 plugs.
Make sure you have the correct pairs in the terminals, 568B is the configuration you want to use.
Make sure your cable is decent quality, does your cable say CCS or CCA on it,?
I don't know where you are but if you're anywhere near North Manchester I could give you some proper external cat5e.

Back