ralphdt

I'm new to STB/IPTV and looking for advice/views.
I've got SKY+HD and UK FREEVIEW and a COFDM/HDMI distribution to 3x Samsung (E,H,J) TV's (this only allows watching of 1/same channel on all 3 TV in HD/1080i which is fine).

I'm looking at GigaBlue UE 4K with 2xS2 and adding 2xT2. Moving the SAT cables/Freeview off SKY+HD/LNB onto it and HDMI output onto the COFDM distribution.

OpenVix configuration looks quite complicated to me, but reckon I could get through it.

What gotcha's should I be aware of ?
E.g. Recording - Series Link, Remote Control, CPU/Speed, Managing Recording from SAT/ANT (which input is chosen)

FreeSat UK doesn't carry CH4 HD any more and the interface isn't inspiring. BT TV are dropping the 3 pay channels that she watches. Humax are bailing.
Ultimately I want to get away from SKY+HD for my Wife as its mostly recording Freesat/Freeview channels! Then I'd consider IPTV for E!, W, TLC.
But I have to admit the SKY+HD UI & associated App really is a gold standard, just too darn expensive for what it actually is for me. An EPG, HDD and Freeview/Sat.

Willo3092

VIP Member
You will still be able to get Ch4 HD on Sky FTA rather than Freesat.
Various skins are available to give a Sky interface.

1606300873338.png

I'm not sure what your budget is but if you get a unicable lnb to replace the Sky HD one it will effectively give you 8 tuners on the Gigablue so no problem with multiple recordings, series links etc.
Not sure about HDMI distribution but if you have network connections to your other TV's you can buy cheap E2 boxes that can work in client mode from the Gigablue and use spare tuners to watch any channel.
You don't have to switch tuners or antenna, it's all automatic. If you choose a freeview channel it will automatically switch to the aerial connection.
OpenViX is by far the easiest setup for new users in my opinion.

ralphdt

Many thanks
I’ll have to research the “unicable LNB” as I was assuming the existing SkyHD one would suffice.
The COFDM distribution is clean as I just tune DVBT on CH99 on 3x TVs. I don’t need multiroom/different channels or the effort of additional boxes at the TV end. It’s Kitchen, Lounge, Bedroom. Only 1 TV being watched at a time. 2 recordings at same time.

Willo3092

VIP Member
Many thanks
I’ll have to research the “unicable LNB” as I was assuming the existing SkyHD one would suffice.
The COFDM distribution is clean as I just tune DVBT on CH99 on 3x TVs. I don’t need multiroom/different channels or the effort of additional boxes at the TV end. It’s Kitchen, Lounge, Bedroom. Only 1 TV being watched at a time. 2 recordings at same time.
If you don't need unicable the Gigablue will work perfectly well on the Sky HD LNB.
I was just making you aware that the Gigablue has FBC sat tuners that can give you up to 8 tuners if used with unicable.

ralphdt

Understood. I quite like the limit of recording 2 channels (it's a dual LNB) and not having to get up a ladder. But very helpful to know the GB capability is greater if ever I need to replace the LNB.