New E10 fuel

rs500nutter

TK Veteran
Good morning all 👍now then i had a customer in the garage a few days ago complaining about poor miles per gallon.
I was asked to give the car an inspection etc the car in was a 2007 Ford mondeo 2.0 duratec he petrol.
The current mileage of the car is 87k and is always serviced with genuine ford oe parts by myself or whoever gets the job as requested by the customer.
Did a live diagnostic check and removed spark plugs for inspection and everything looks fine.
He said the mpg has dropped significantly since the introduction of the new E10 fuel.
Tyre pressures checked no significant weight in the boot etc.
The gentleman owner is a very mature man and does not drive with a lead right foot if you get my meaning.
His mileage per week is roughly 150 and in mixed driving of urban and dual carriage way 50mph.
Before E10 was introduced into the fuel stations he was doing these journeys on approx £25 and now he says its taking nearly £35_£40 to do the exact same journey etc, i know pump prices have increased etc.
Has anyone else noticed a rise in the E10 fuel burning away faster and having to fill up more regular.
Cheers nutter and happy motoring 👍👍👍

Ive heard the same stories of low mpg figures on the Car groups im on.

Most seem to find it more economical to use the remaining E5 high octane fuels Tesco momentum etc.

Yes mine has dropped a bit also,The price of fuel has gone up and your getting less miles with the petrol,One way to force you go Electric or get a Push rod(bike)

Good morning all 👍now then i had a customer in the garage a few days ago complaining about poor miles per gallon.
I was asked to give the car an inspection etc the car in was a 2007 Ford mondeo 2.0 duratec he petrol.
The current mileage of the car is 87k and is always serviced with genuine ford oe parts by myself or whoever gets the job as requested by the customer.
Did a live diagnostic check and removed spark plugs for inspection and everything looks fine.
He said the mpg has dropped significantly since the introduction of the new E10 fuel.
Tyre pressures checked no significant weight in the boot etc.
The gentleman owner is a very mature man and does not drive with a lead right foot if you get my meaning.
His mileage per week is roughly 150 and in mixed driving of urban and dual carriage way 50mph.
Before E10 was introduced into the fuel stations he was doing these journeys on approx £25 and now he says its taking nearly £35_£40 to do the exact same journey etc, i know pump prices have increased etc.
Has anyone else noticed a rise in the E10 fuel burning away faster and having to fill up more regular.
Cheers nutter and happy motoring 👍👍👍

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1644344729360.jpg
    FB_IMG_1644344729360.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 11
Ive heard the same stories of low mpg figures on the Car groups im on.

Most seem to find it more economical to use the remaining E5 high octane fuels Tesco momentum etc.
Yeah this was mentioned a few times on other forums i am a member on, but im not sure about this being a cost effective way to go simply on the basis of pricing per litre on some forecourts being on average 10p to 15p more expensive etc.
I honestly think the government are telling a few porkies on the whole process of saving the planet etc.
Surely if cars are burning the new E10 quicker the fuel station's are obviously going through more deliveries etc so more tanker deliveries required and the poor motorist having to go there more often aswell it just dont add up in my eyes but what do i know 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah this was mentioned a few times on other forums i am a member on, but im not sure about this being a cost effective way to go simply on the basis of pricing per litre on some forecourts being on average 10p to 15p more expensive etc.
I honestly think the government are telling a few porkies on the whole process of saving the planet etc.
Surely if cars are burning the new E10 quicker the fuel station's are obviously going through more deliveries etc so more tanker deliveries required and the poor motorist having to go there more often aswell it just dont add up in my eyes but what do i know 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I see your point mate, cars use more E10 fuel due to the Ethanol content the ecu has to give the car more more fuel to produce the same amount of power, that you are more than aware of.

Using the e5 higher octane fuels instantly gives you the missing mpg back then on top of that once the ECU learns the new fuel it will use less still. Wont use e10 in mine. Any car 220bhp and above will benefit massively from what ive read over e10.

Tesco momentum is usually less than 6p a litre more expensive around my parts.

My mpg dropped by about 10 to 50 mpg, so started using the E5 and is now back up to about 60 mpg. It's a total con, got to pay more to get same as before. When I costed it the difference is negligible. I'll prob stick to the E5 while you can still get it.

Dam my 1988 micra would have loved that but ended up going for a newer car 1989 one 😁
Jap import HUGE carb and has not moved in 2 months and needs some loving.

I have noticed as well on my ford focus Duratec 1,8 petrol my mpg has dropped from 30 mpg to 23 mpg it is costing a fortune to run

I'd get it checked out that's ridiculous mpg for that car.

Using the e5 higher octane fuels instantly gives you the missing mpg back then on top of that once the ECU learns the new fuel it will use less still

I heard this so last week switched to E5. This week my MPG has actually got worse. I was getting about 39mpg doing the same route on E10, this week with E5 it's dropped to 34mpg.
Does it take a while for the ECU to learn, if so I'll fill up with E5 again.

I hear the E10 fuel wears your engine out faster too. Anyone know if that's right?

I'd get it checked out that's ridiculous mpg for that car.

I heard this so last week switched to E5. This week my MPG has actually got worse. I was getting about 39mpg doing the same route on E10, this week with E5 it's dropped to 34mpg.
Does it take a while for the ECU to learn, if so I'll fill up with E5 again.

I hear the E10 fuel wears your engine out faster too. Anyone know if that's right?
Can take up to 2 tanks for the ECU to learn how to use it is what i read. This has been backed up with my wifes Fiesta that got gradually better. But more so in my lads Cupra that did not like e10 what so ever. On his work run 8 miles mostly dual carriage ways with e10 he was at 24-25 mpg but using momentum he is back at 33mpg and from what he tells me the car feels so much better.

Myself ive always been on the higher octane fuels

Can take up to 2 tanks for the ECU to learn how to use it is what i read. This has been backed up with my wifes Fiesta that got gradually better. But more so in my lads Cupra that did not like e10 what so ever. On his work run 8 miles mostly dual carriage ways with e10 he was at 24-25 mpg but using momentum he is back at 33mpg and from what he tells me the car feels so much better.

Myself ive always been on the higher octane fuels

I'll give it another full tank and see how it goes 👍. I have the same car MK8 fiesta.

They will get you everyway insurance on cycles will be next
With these new Highway code rules they should have insurance.

Very least medical insurance because if a anyone on a push bike scrapes down the side of my car they will need it.

Back