New Internet Provider 2023

Kevinpug1

Hi,

Who do you recommend I go with as my contract is coming to an end with Vodafone, currently got FTTP 500 the problem with Vodafone is that they do "throttle" my speed quite often and they even admitted it blaming it on other people on my street using internet at the same time as me. I am just looking for switch for another provider either 900 or again 500 fftp, Also with Vodafone the WIFI signal is weak even with the booster they sent me I can not get decent WIFI connection upstairs when I called them they sayd maybe your neighbour got something blocking the signal. Seem like they have excuse for everything but it's never them. After doing some online reading it would seem to me that BT or SKY is the best to go with? also would anyone know if Either SKY or BT provide WIFI 6 routers now? ATM I only have maybe 4 devices that support WIFI 6 but would love to try it.

/Thanks

I'd go with BT over Sky. If you want Sky TV then I'd recommend Sky. But BT I heard better things than Sky. Not sure about WiFi 6, is that being used everywhere now or you just wanting to future proof?

Bt provides a far better service but you pay a premium for that my filter and hub failed loss of connection on and off all the time. A BT engineer came the next day and replaced the filter and he ordered a hub 2 that came the day after. The wifi signal is strong all around the house but not sure if it has Wifi 6 Just checked the Smart hub 2 is wifi 5 and the new smart hub 3 is wifi 6

Last edited:
i always tend to use my own router anyway, put the origianal router in modem only mode and add your own.

i like the huawei wifi 6 routers, theyre also mesh compatible if you need more wifi range and adding another router is simple as it is picked up by the forst one.

cheap as chips on amazon.

Thank you all for your replies

I am gonna go with BT and see how I get on I know they a bit more expensive but I don't mind that. If I still face any issues then I will look into buying my own router and mesh system.

Reactions: m4u
i always tend to use my own router anyway, put the origianal router in modem only mode and add your own.

i like the huawei wifi 6 routers, theyre also mesh compatible if you need more wifi range and adding another router is simple as it is picked up by the forst one.

cheap as chips on amazon.
oh well that will be my old talktalk routers defunked, only joking with virmin even though latest hub first thing put it into modem mode and doing ok with deco m4 mesh for the cost at the time never looked back.

zen internet for me supurb never throttle and dont care what i do router very good
I have been with BT for a few years and barter at the end of every contract! I checked if Zen was available! It is but £10 more expensive than what I'm paying! I also use my own router, and never noticed any throttling over the 5 years I have been with them, although BT hub is still a better option than most supplier's with the smart option switched off

Reactions: m4u
Arnold and Andrews, Aquiss, iDnet and Zen are good options.
All have UK based customer support(cs), unlike the big boys that outsource to India(among others) and India is the scammers capital of the world.
Just view Jim Browning or scammer payback on youtube to see how ineffective the police in India are regarding shutting down scammers.
You pays your money, they take your info.

I'm pretty happy with Virgin Media and their Hub 5 which uses the 802.11ax WIFI protocols and their own service deployment.
Every other ISP use's BT access points and just stuff their equipment into a BT exchange.
I used to put Hubs into modem only mode and use my own gaming routers, but the newer hubs are much better than their predecessors.
And word of advice, never try to switch to Vodafone fibre from BT fibre, I tried it once and they left me with no internet for over a month.. telling lies that they would pass me on to 3rd tier tech support and to stick a pin into back of hub to reset it ..lol
Ended up going back to BT and was back up and running in 5 mins from hub being plugged in.

Back