New joiner - thinking of H2S

pricklyEd

I just joined Techkings and I hope that it will be an interesting and fruitful relationship!
Currently I have an 8 year old Triax SR322 with one dish and two LNBs.
One LNB points to Astra 2E for UK Freesat, the other to Hotbird 13C for Polish channels.
The Triax needs to be sent to satellite heaven as the technology is out of date. It can only currently catch one remaining Polish channel and some of the Freesat ones have gone too.
So I’ve been looking around, and being a tight Yorkshire man (south of Huddersfield), I’m thinking of going for the Zgemma H2S from the Zgemma supplier on your forum.
Meandering over the past few weeks through the Techkings forums I think that initially I’ll try the vanilla H2S to see what it offers. Once I’ve got used to it I guess I’ll move onto using Infinity – following the destructions exactly :) Not interested in IPTV or cable – just satellite.
However I have an initial question or two: does it matter which coax goes into which Tuner input socket?
Will I be able/need to select these two satellites from those found by the dish?
Many thanks in advance.
Ed

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The H.2S is more than a little "tired" now so I wouldn't suggest you buy one now unless you get one VERY cheaply.
If you are looking for only satellite channels then maybe a H5.2S would be worth considering.

To answer your questions, no it doesn't matter as each tuner can be configured independently and yes to your second question.

Last edited:
Hi Sparkrite,
seen your name on quite a few forum posts.
Thanks for the suggestion about the H5.2S - I will certainly have a look at it.
Though a very cheap H2S appeals to a thrifty Yorkshire man:grin:
Also thanks for you reply to the two questions.
Thnaks again.

H2s is fine for satellite,and pretty much the same spec anyway as the H5.25 apart from h265 codec so either one really.

H2s is fine for satellite,and pretty much the same spec anyway as the H5.25 apart from h265 codec so either one really.

You're absolutely right, there is very little difference between them, don't know what I was thinking.

Both are lacking the "oomph" to run even bare bones builds smoothly now. Generally just "alright" when settled on a channel but you will notice the lack of CPU power when channel hopping, EPG browsing, pause/rewind etc.
IMHO this is often due to sloppy coding which unfortunately is happening across all computing disciplines as memory and more powerful CPUs become cheaper and more available. If a routine runs slowly due to bad coding often the answer is to implement a more powerful CPU rather than spend the time streamlining the coding.
Don't agree?, then flash V4.xxx oATV onto a H.2s and see how fast it runs opposed to V6.2 and very little difference on the front end.

If the OP could stretch to H7S it may be worth thinking about as it has a way more powerful CPU with more ROM/RAM than either mentioned above (Hmm, I wonder why that is necessary ;)) .

Last edited:
Hi Sparkrite,
I agree about sloppy coding. In my younger days it was expected that you would code efficiently and absolutely thouroughly tested. But technology was a lot simpler then. As technology became more prevalent and powerful, sloppy habits became normal. This happened a fair bit at the last place I worked as it was all about results - and quickly! Sigh.
I'll bear your idea about the H7S - I may even decide on some other make spending a bit more money. Will see. But still dithering and more investigation. That's one of my traits - think, ponder, sit on the fence while the brain mulls things over - in the end I tend to jump into whatever's at the bottom of the fence :mad: and hope for the best.

I have H2s running triax 1.1 with motor 30w to 42e this box does it easily. Latest woosbuild infinity soo easy. If wife is using tv I use OpenWebIF to stream to laptop H2s will do all this easily.

Hi Sparkrite,
I agree about sloppy coding. In my younger days it was expected that you would code efficiently and absolutely thouroughly tested. But technology was a lot simpler then. As technology became more prevalent and powerful, sloppy habits became normal. This happened a fair bit at the last place I worked as it was all about results - and quickly! Sigh.
I'll bear your idea about the H7S - I may even decide on some other make spending a bit more money. Will see. But still dithering and more investigation. That's one of my traits - think, ponder, sit on the fence while the brain mulls things over - in the end I tend to jump into whatever's at the bottom of the fence :mad: and hope for the best.
Hi, well I've decided on the H7S - put in order today on the sponsored seller. Ok - it's about double price of the H2S but as the H7S is a year old(ish) - technically it's a bit of future proofing and has had positive feedbacks.
Thanks again for all your help to date. No doubt once I get the H7S there will be some questions. They, however, will be posted in the correct forum(s).

Back