new laptop recomendations please

celticfc

TK Veteran
hi
my sister is looking for a new laptop £300-£400 in price ,ideally 8gig ram and 250gig ssd , i know a bit about laptops but still like to ask peoples advice as laptops are changing all the time.
whats a good model and anyone got any links to good deals, preferably Argos or Currys as she would have to go buy and pick up at shop thanx in advance guys
i had a look here at an Acer Aspire 3
is Acer a good make

Buy Acer Aspire 3 15.6in Pentium 8GB 256GB FHD Laptop - Black | Laptops and netbooks | Argos

I'm no expert by any means mate but the brand isn't as important as the components inside it. It's the same as TVs, no one brand is better than all the rest. And in terms of components, there's no point in having 8gb of ram if the processor is as basic as they come. I'm not saying that's the case for that laptop you mentioned, I just mean in general.

In saying that just looked at the laptop there and the processor isn't great but that's not to say it won't do a job, it all depends on what it's used for.

Last edited:
There's better out there for that price. Windows 10S is a sandboxed version meaning you can only download apps from the MS Store. Saying that you could always do a clean install of the full open version. You might get by on 4gb but I'd go 8gb for any sort of futureproofing.

Oh and the CPU will definitely be 64bit but not sure of the OS. If it had more than 4gb RAM I would be able to tell you the OS definitely would be BUT at 4gb it could be either 32/64bit.

There's better out there for that price. Windows 10S is a sandboxed version meaning you can only download apps from the MS Store. Saying that you could always do a clean install of the full open version. You might get by on 4gb but I'd go 8gb for any sort of futureproofing.
A lot now come with Windows 10S you can change it for free.

Windows 10 in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to switch out of S mode. Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode.
Switching out of S mode in Windows 10

A lot now come with Windows 10S you can change it for free.

Windows 10 in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to switch out of S mode. Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode.
Switching out of S mode in Windows 10
t

ye m8 i read up on it dont think it will be a prob. i would just switch straight away
thanx

Back