New malware variant recognizes Windows 8, uses Google Docs as a proxy to phone home

ferguj1

Super Duper Modulator
Staff member
New Malware Variant Uses Google Docs As a Proxy To Phone Home

Windows 8 may block most malware out of the box, but there is still malware out there that thwarts Microsoft’s latest and greatest. A new Trojan variant, detected as Backdoor.Makadocs and spread via RTF and Microsoft Word document marked as Trojan.Dropper, has been discovered that not only adds a clause to target Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, but also uses Google Docs as a proxy server to phone home to its Command & Control (C&C) server.

Symantec believes the threat has been updated by the malware author to include the Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 references, but doesn’t do anything specific for them (yet). This is no surprise: the two operating systems were released less than a month ago but of course they are already popular, and cybercriminals are acting fast.

Yet the more interesting part is the Google Docs addition. Backdoor.Makadocs gathers information from the compromised computer (such as host name and OS type) and then receives and executes commands from a C&C server to do further damage.

In order to do so, the malware authors have decided to leverage Google Docs to ensure crystal clear communications. As Google Docs becomes more and more popular, and as businesses continue to accept it and allow the service through their firewalls, this method is a clever move.

The reason this works is because Google Docs includes a “viewer” function that retrieves resources of another URL and displays it, allowing the user to view a variety of file types in the browser. In violation of Google’s policies, Backdoor.Makadocs uses this function to access its C&C server, likely in the hopes of preventing the link to the C&C from being discovered since Google Docs encrypts its connection over HTTPS.

Symantec says “It is possible for Google to prevent this connection by using a firewall.” Since the document does not leverage vulnerabilities to function (it relies on social engineering tactics instead) it’s unlikely Google will be able to do much beyond participating in a game of cat and mouse with the malware authors.

Nevertheless, we have contacted Google and Microsoft about this issue. We will update this article if and when we hear back.

Update at 4:30PM EST: “Using any Google product to conduct this kind of activity is a violation of our product policies,” a Google spokesperson said in a statement. “We investigate and take action when we become aware of abuse.”

It kills me to admit this, and while I have no intention of installing it at the moment, I could not pass on the $14.99 upgrade license available for Win 8. Hopefully, Gman does not take me out back and flog me. I would just like to have it to mess around with as I am sure we will begin getting questions on the forums regarding it.

I have the full RTM Pro version here too ferg and like you it's not installed.

I'm in no hurry to use it but for support & troubleshooting I can't afford to sit on the fence either ;)

My biggest problem now is that my processor does not support the proper virtualization to run it in VMware. Will have to figure out where I want to install it now.

Install it on a separate drive in your main rig and just swap the SATA cable when you want to boot to it. Don't compromise your main OS by dual booting.

That was the direction I was leaning. I just swapped out my 80 gb hdd for a new 500 and could put win 8 on the old one. Thanks for the reassurance buddy. :)

Can you clean install that upgrade or does it have to be over an existing OS?

If it can't be clean installed & your 80GB still has your OS you are good to go.

If your 80GB was wiped? Image (Acronis) your existing OS on the 500GB and slap it onto the 80GB & then upgrade ;)

When you run the upgrade assistant you are given the choice of how you will be installing. I chose to install using media and then the ISO file. I can burn it to disk and do a clean install that way, or at least that was my understanding anyway based on what I read around the interweb. However, that said, all I did was clone my old HDD using Acronis, and then placed the cloned image on the new HDD. I have not done anything to the old HDD yet, so it still has Win 7 on it just as I left it.

If a clean install is an option? it would be my choice and I'm sure yours too?

Aside from it being the best method, it allows you to introduce other programs one by one and see if they really are compatible with 8? The last thing you need is to have issues caused by other programs, drivers etc & not be sure which of them is the culprit?

Back