newbee help with new tv

i am a new member to the site and as a semi retired mechanical engineer who is now trying to get to grips with new tech systems will welcome any help give by my fellow forum members
my first question i have just bought a new tv with a audio output marked digital/optical what can i connect this to? my current speaker set up does not match this output

never stop learning
bilbobagsnot

i am a new member to the site and as a semi retired mechanical engineer who is now trying to get to grips with new tech systems will welcome any help give by my fellow forum members
my first question i have just bought a new tv with a audio output marked digital/optical what can i connect this to? my current speaker set up does not match this output

never stop learning
bilbobagsnot

While all new TV sets have what is now standard input and output connections, older HiFi sets may have what was standard at that time.

Cables\adapters are available to get you connected even though right now your cable connectors don't marry. I would suggest you go to your local TV store and bring either your stereo cable or a picture of the connections and tell them you need to connect your new TV to your stereo. I'm sure they will be able to supply you with the correct cables\connectors. Alternatively you could source them online if you knew exactly what you were after. Finally, If you wanted to post a picture of your TV and stero connectors here? we might be better able to point you in the right direction.

welcome aboard,if you have an amp that has an input of optical or digital coax spdif/toslink etc you can send sound from tv through your home theatre 7-1 speakers.

onkyo875rear900.jpg

if you had the old phono red and white leads output from tv to input on stereo,or maybe old stereo has a scart which then connects to tv.

Last edited:
Great advice already given!, failing mentioned idea's Post your tv make and model number also your as you call it "current speaker set up" make and model number.

thanks for the assistance/reply's, new tv Samsung 450 series4+ the manual shows a single jack plug type output marked digital audio out (optical).existing sound system one red /one white jack plug hard wired to amp/control unit into which 5 speakers are connected ,i have a maplins store not far away they may stock some kind of adapter (what is an optical connection). i have a 3 speaker system connected to my computer with a single green jack plug input to the control unit if i plug this into tv could i incur any damage tv spec sound output 10w*2.

bilbobagsnot

Back